axe help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I've got a couple of axes that have just come from coal sheads and the like. One has a head weighing 500g and a nice length handle, sadly it's not fitted very well and I'll need to replace it to use the axe. The other one has a 2lb head and is 17inches (44cm) long in total. It feels a bit odd, I'm not sure if it's just the shape of the handle since it's quite straight or if the proportions are very different to a GB axe that lots of people go for.It doesn't seem too heavy but I wouldn't want any more.
Why are the handles on GB axes shaped the way they are? What sort of weight do you use and how long is the handle? What sort of angle should I be sharpening an axe head at and how polished do people leave their axes? I know some people who just use a file. I figured go to about 360-600grit wet&dry paper to get a nice convex edge on it.
Also any tips of making a new handle for the small axe would be welcome. I'll try and add pics tomorrow. I think I may end up taking them to the EMCCU meet to see if the knife boys could tell me if the steel is the right sort of hardness or if they aren't worth bothering with.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE