Axe Care

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grez

Forager
Apr 16, 2005
-
Hi All,

I'm currently using boiled linseed oil to look after the handle of my axe, but can anyone one suggest what to use to look after the head?

I noticed that RM suggests that you use gun oil (can't find that brush on stuff anywhere), so I was thinking of using something like 3in1 oil but is there anything better.

Cheers

Grez..

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
It's hard to beat a teflon based lubricant for rust resistance and lasting ability. I can highly recommend Break Free as I have been using it now for over 20 years and it has never let me down in terms of rust protection. It's not for food grade cutlery though. For that, I typically use mineral oil.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
The brush-on gun oil used by Ray M is made by Napier of London, and doesn't always come in the bottle with a brush, and sadly can be quite hard to find. I have it in a large dropper bottle and its very good, forming a nice wear resistant coating on the metal of the axe (or gun for that matter). Napier gun oil is also good to use on the door locks of your car because it is formulated not to freeze at low temps.
I have no connection with Napier, I just know a good product when I fall over it!

Dave

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Hi,

The little bottle with the brush is part of a rifle cleaning kit for an SA80. If you know someone in the Forces you could ask them to get you some oil as they get it free for weapon cleaning.

Brian

the Napier oil is great as it contains a produck known as VP90. It is a rust inhibitor and will protect metal from damp. it does not keep water out though, and you should still dry your axe/knife properly if it has got wet then re-apply the oil. napier also make a small envelope of VP90 that gives off a fine vapor of product that will attach itself to metal. if you put your knives/axes etc in a bag or box, then put this sachet of VP90 in with it, it will keep them in top condition for months. it will not attack any wood work or handles. Napier also make gun oil with VP90 in bottles and spray cans as well as the bottle with an applicator brush. I would have thought that and Gun dealer or country sports shop would have it. It is also available from William Powell (Gun makers) in Birmingham. www.william-powell.co.uk. I have found them to be most knowledgable and efficent in their service.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE