Axe and Camp skills with Paul Kirtley - very pic heavy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Just back from spending a weekend with some members off of the forum and Paul Kirtley

The theme for the weekend was Axe and camp skills and we were lucky to have the use of a really nice woodland courtesy of Damian. Many thanks for the use of your woods Damian :You_Rock_

We were pretty lucky with the weather with just the occasional shower but on the whole dry which makes a big diference.

Anyway here's the pics

My pitch for the weekend
P1030067.jpg

We started off looking at safe axe work with Paul demonstrating how to sned limbs from a fallen tree.
P1030035.jpg

P1030025.jpg

After which we got stuck in
P1030031.jpg

P1030033.jpg

P1030036.jpg

P1030038.jpg

Axes are great... but a chainsaw does speed things up... so long as it works :)

The tree Pete was cutting was to be converted into benches for the pitch
P1030040.jpg

Gary brought his WW2 pioneers saw and gave it a try out... it was suprisinging effective
P1030041.jpg

P1030045.jpg

P1030047.jpg

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
We then looked at splitting firewood and Paul demonstrated various ways to split logs without the use of a splitting block
P1030052.jpg

Sam had an interesting time with his log... ;):rofl:

In the evening Gary cooked a really delicious Turkey and Ham Bean Potage for the group with his infamous Gin Gan Goo for a late night snack... Full of flavour and not a chili or onion was used :) Unfortunately there's no pics of that as we were all too busy eating :D

The next day we looked at how we were going to split the beech logs we collected the previous day so we carved gluts from holly
P1030055.jpg

P1030057.jpg

P1030060.jpg

Pete used the logs we were going to plit bottom his resting block
P1030064.jpg

P1030068.jpg

And then we had a glut of gluts
P1030073.jpg

Which we used to split the logs
P1030075.jpg

P1030076.jpg

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
The logs proved some hard work but soon started giving way to gluts
P1030078.jpg

P1030079.jpg

P1030080.jpg

P1030083.jpg

Once split the faces had to be cleaned up to ensure no splinters for anyone sitting on them
P1030082.jpg

P1030084.jpg

There's always time for a cigarette and a quick sharpening of the axe :)
P1030086.jpg

Once the faces were cleaned up holes were drilled for the legs
P1030091.jpg

And then a try out of the finished product
P1030092.jpg

A couple other items we looked at were fire rigs for camp cooking and the various pot hooks that can be used and how to rig large tarps for base camps. Paul showed us a very handy technique for getting a really taut ridgeline using a half sheepshank and a carabiner. I didn't take pics of those activities but others did so no doubt you'll see them later on.

It was a great weekend, Paul is a fantastic tutor with a wealth of knowledge which you can see he is more than happy to share with you. We look forward to having him back again next year

Special thanks for the weekend go to Damian for the use of his woods, it really made the weekend. Gary for his excellent cooking skills showing us that food doesn't need to be all heat and no flavour :) And finally to Paul for spending his time with us just after he'd got back from 2 weeks in Canada :D

Last edited:

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
When you have posted your pics Steve I will try to fill any gaps - but thanks again to you and Damian for a fantastic weekend (and Paul and the other folk there, of course)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Dont do it!
I do not want to see what I missed!
Especially as the "holiday with the mrs." that I cancelled for never materialised :(
She changed her mind when she saw the weather forcast!:umbrella::aargh4::sigh::banghead:

Oh go on then - I might still learn something....

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
had a superb weekend in the woods with friends old and new, but didn't take many photographs, i was too busy enjoying myself.

thanks to steve for arranging this, damian for the hospitality, gary for the cooking, paul for the tuition, and everyone else for the great company. i sincerely hope that i manage to get along to more of these in the future :)

the few photo's i did manage to take:

30u455h.jpg

350s2nb.jpg

9lio8g.jpg

16ixi7p.jpg

sblw5u.jpg

24l7wo8.jpg

34felur.jpg

bg191e.jpg

cheers

stuart

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Dont do it!
I do not want to see what I missed!
Especially as the "holiday with the mrs." that I cancelled for never materialised
She changed her mind when she saw the weather forcast!

Oh go on then - I might still learn something....

I did... hope you enjoy them :)

But I won't mention the last minute space that became available so you could have come in the end... :rolleyes: :rofl:

Last edited:

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
Don't worry John I have not much in the way of photos to add --- as I thought I had managed to leave my camera behind but it was in the Sabre top pocket all the time! :bang

Really good weekend even though Elines and I seemed to make a tactical mistake in attempting to use both log halves whereas a quick count on the other side of the parachute looked like one bench per pair, that is our excuse and we are sticking to it..... Will finish them off next time Damian, and I will get someone to check the angle of the hole I am augering so the pair of legs are vaguely symmetrical :rofl

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Great write up and pics Steve, that looks like a really useful few days, gutted my birthday got in the way

Seeing Pete with an axe and chainsaw is scary stuff

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
What a good weekend! :bigok:

Big thanks to everyone for organizing, taking snaps, hosting, cooking and teaching. :You_Rock_

Paul was a great teacher and I learnt a helluva lot. Met some great new faces too :)

I hope ya woods stop smelling of garlicy 2 stroke soon Damian :headbang: :D

Hoping theres a next one. :)

udamiano

On a new journey
A couple of Pictures from my position in the background working extremely hard while the others enjoyed themselves :rolleyes::sulkoff:

The class of 2012 Milord......

P1000402.jpg

Some of the inmates have been put to work in the wood shop, to help with their rehabilitation, this week its benches, next week, a full log cabin with fitted kitchen sun lounge and terraced barbecue area

P1000399.jpg

The escape committee Finalise their plans. What hoo chaps !

P1000404.jpg

Instruction into the art of cordage and bindage! (I was going to say bondage, but in a moment of lucid clarity thought better of it)

P1000405.jpg

a pleasure to host the weekend, and in seriousness everyone had a cracking time; me included (mainly involved sleeping in my chair in front of the fire)

Da

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Looks like a fun time. Were any proper sized axes present?:)

no idea what you class as proper sized (really big or really small, how do you like your choppers?), but either way, yes would be the answer. between us we'd got everything from pocket sized to full-on felling axes, and i think pretty much all of them got used over the course of the weekend goodjob

cheers

stuart

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE