Aussie hootchie

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Squidders said:
With regards to falling things, as you say, avoid pitching it under anything that looks a little dead, no ridge line or configuration is strong enough to protect you from a falling branch... sticks yes, branches, no.

Thanks Joe! :D The word for branches and sticks we use in dutch is the same (branch: tak; sticks: takje and: twigg: twijg) ... So that's where it went wrong :rolleyes:

I used that for an example, because I remembered a thread where people mentioned that the ridgeline gave some protection against ... sticks ;)

Spamel said:
(...) also a strong line between two stout trees above your basha will catch any large branches that may fall onto your basha, slowing its descent.

Thanks for this good tip Spamel!

I think I've seen the type of basha you use, not sure though. The one I've seen felt as it would wear very fast / wasn't made of a very tough material ...

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
The one I have is also very large... it's got webbing straps along the edges as it can be used as an emergency stretcher. It's also bomb proof and feels like it's going to last forever.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
The British DPM basha is quite tough, I've not had any problems with mine. It also has the handles to use it as a stretcher, with eyelets and loops around the outer edge and a single loop in the very centre. It packs down quite small, into a little stuff sack that comes with it. Getting it in in a hurry can be fun though!!

I think that the large branches that fall down are often called by the British Armed Forces "widow makers"! Just for clarification, the stout line is a good idea, but always check above first!! Obviously, it should be about a metre above your basha, this will slow a branches' descent and hopefully you'll be OK! This isn't going to stop a giant redwood if it happens to fall down, but will help with branches of a medium size.

Remember: Safety First, Fun Later!! :D

Spamel

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Thanks all for the replies! It gave me some new points of view and things to think about when purchasing one!

Safety first, fun later ... Sounds like the thought for today (... everyday :D )

Cheers!!

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
On the thread about the cheap Zebra billy cans I made comparison table about the stockists, prices, etc.

I also mentioned that I had such a table for hootchie / basha's - Bothyman made a request, so therefore I placed it in this thread: for all and singular use and benefit ;)

Moderators: If this post is not appropiate to post, please feel free to edit or remove it completely.

Shop_____Length (cm)____Width (cm)____Weight (gr)____Price (£)____Color
Bearclaw ___250_________175__________XX___________50.00_______Aus.
___________265_________175__________640__________35.00_______DPM
Woodlore ___270_________175__________684__________50.00_______Olive
___________270_________175__________684__________50.00_______Aus.
Sasskit_____280_________180__________XX___________49.99_______DPM
___________260_________175__________600__________29.99_______Olive
Penrith_____230_________170__________750__________44.00________DPM
___________230_________170__________750__________36.00_______Olive
___________230_________170__________390__________30.00_______Olive
Survival Sch_300_________250__________600__________55.00_______Olive
___________250_________250__________500__________40.00_______Olive
___________250_________150__________400__________24.99_______Olive
Strikeforce__265_________175__________640__________30.00________DPM
Silverman___256_________216__________XX___________85.00_______DPM
___________254_________145__________XX___________40.00_______Olive

Please note that some specs about the hootchie / basha is not incorporate in this table. For example: yes/no press studs, number of loops, etc. So, this is up to you to check and double check ;)
Also be aware that named types can increase with their price in future or ran out of stock ...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE