Aussie hootchie

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Are these available in one size only or more than one size,do you find them big enough for what you want ect.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
One more question to you knowledgeable bushcrafting types,why does the Aussie version seem to be preferred over other types.

jakunen

Native
Adi007 said:
Ravenn said:
Here's one: Basha

I'd take the whole "SAS" thing with a massive pince of salt and all DPM sheets I've seen here have the pattern on both sides not the "solid Grey Green" described. :?:
The last 'reversible' one I saw ws a cheap Korean knock-off that was coated with PU on one side and meant you got just as wet from condensation as if you hadn't used a tarp...

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Hi all!!

Instead of opening a new thread for this question - I'll ask it here.

Could anyone tell me the differences between the Aus cam hootchie from Woodlore and the one from Bearclaw please?

For example: I've seen some piccies and on the Bearclaw version there aren't any loops stitched on the hootchie itself (for the ridgeline), while the Woodlore version has (IIRC) about 3 of them ... Are the ridgeline loops an advantage? Do they offer (the basha) more protection against falling branches (... I know, check the trees before pitching), etc. etc.

I know there is a thread with more info about it, but I can't find it :rolleyes: ...

Any experiences with these two models are much appriciated! :D Your thoughts please gents! ;)

Cheers,

G

Gripper

I've always found the ridgeline loops really handy especially when rigging the hoochie over my hammock, you may also want to check that it has the attachments to join more hoochies together, I have 4 in total all Aus made (being in Perth helps with that) but we still get Asian made low quality ones here and two of mine were only made to be used as singles and are very light weight where the other two are slightly heavier. Hope that helps...

Mark

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I think I'm right in saying that Woodlore get their hoochies made for them and the Aus hoochie is from Australia. There's quite a size difference between the two and the Aus ones are tougher material, so they weigh more as well.

The top loops are going to be personal preference as you can run a line under the tarp and on some tarps you don't need one as the material itself is strong enough. Saying that, if it's light weight it may wear the material more quickly.

A lot of it is down to personal preference, the thing to do really is have a play with both, if you can get to one of the bcuk meet up's there will be a few there you can play with as well as different hammocks etc People use it as an opportunity to try out other kit. ;)

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Tony said:
A lot of it is down to personal preference, the thing to do really is have a play with both, if you can get to one of the bcuk meet up's there will be a few there you can play with as well as different hammocks etc People use it as an opportunity to try out other kit. ;)

:D Actually I'll probably come over to the UK in summer ;). But wanted to bring my own hootchie and have a play with it ... Have to admit you are right though: and have a play with them at the meet up.
Found the dimensions by the way:
- Woodlore: 270 x 175cm (684 gr.)
- Aussie: 250 x 175cm

Off topic: bummer the 2 meet ups (Ashdown & BCUK) are at the same time (IIRC) ... Would have been great to go to both of them :D

Mark / Gripper: Thanks mate! ;)

Cheers,

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have a basha which is the UK version of the hootchie... It doesn't have proper loops along the ridge but there were points I could stick some cord to make some without it becoming leakey.

With regards to falling things, as you say, avoid pitching it under anything that looks a little dead, no ridge line or configuration is strong enough to protect you from a falling branch... sticks yes, branches, no.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
The new style DPM basha (I say new, I've had mine since '97) has a loop in the centre, and this can be used along with the loops on the edges in a similar fashion to the aussie hootchie. It's not quite as good, but it will do the job adequately. Unfortunately, they can't be poppered together, but then they are huge!!

I advise checking that there isn't any dead wood in the trees above your proposed site before pitching your basha, also a strong line between two stout trees above your basha will catch any large branches that may fall onto your basha, slowing its descent. This method is used often in the jungle, but would be equally effective in our forests.

Spamel

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE