Auctioned Ray Mears Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woody

Forager
I am writing to voice my utmost disgust at the actions of; I hope a small minority of people who call themselves “Bushcrafters” who took it upon themselves to email the young lady who was selling the Knife that I auctioned for charity.

I hasten to add that this post is aimed solely at those individuals responsible who will be aware of their actions and no one else. I sincerely hope that they are not members of this forum but also hope that if not, then one day they do read this and realise the misery and hurt they have caused some one and are rightly ashamed. Probably wishful thinking!

This Knife was paid for by her as a birthday gift for her partner, a keen bushcrafter himself, (whom she is still with for the interest of those that publicly maligned her perceived situation) and is therefore hers to do with as she pleased, regardless of the fact that it was for charity or otherwise. Due to certain circumstances they unfortunately find themselves in a position where they need to sell some of their investments.

Firstly, I would like to know what gives these so called “Bushcrafters” the right to intrude on some one with slanderous emails full of comments such as “Greed and Bushcraft don’t go together” ...”Rip off” and other denigrative remarks, having no idea of the facts, situation or reasons behind the sell and secondly even if they did, what business is it of theirs any way??

As was rightly pointed out on this forum she does not stand to gain significantly from the sale after paying the various EBay and Paypal costs but is purely trying to recoup what she paid out.

Personalities such as Ray Mears, Tony from this forum and many more work very hard championing the cause of the subject we all hold so dearly only to have it given a bad name in the public eye by the spineless actions of individuals such as these.

In reply to my email I was told how “her heart sank” when she saw that there was yet another email about the sell of the knife, having been bombarded with “Nasty emails” from so called “Bushcrafters” since putting it on EBay.

I would be very surprised if she or her boyfriend will ever associate themselves with so called “Bushcrafters” again after this and I don’t blame them. I wonder myself some times!

Well done those responsible!!!

Woody

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I am sorry to hear of this, Woody. This is disgraceful behaviour on the part of the people who did this. This is absolutely nothing to do with them, they have no rights at all to do it. I am sure there are plenty of people here who will be just as annoyed as I am by this behaviour. I hope this young lady realizes we are not all rude and that most people would respect her actions. I wish her well.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Woody, I too am sorry to hear of this type of harassment, and sorry to hear to that financial needs forced the sale.

However, I can do something about negative behaviour on this forum. The pm system is just that, private, but if the lady concerned chooses to make a complaint to a Mod about individual abuses of the pm system, then action will be taken.
The system works under the same rules as the rest of the forum and that extends from simple courtesy to a right to reasonable speech and behaviour.

I am sure that others here would also wish that matters improve for the couple and that they are not discouraged in their enjoyment of the outdoors or the company of like minded people.

atb,
Toddy

deepcmonkey

Forager
Nov 6, 2007
Oxford
Was the said knife that one going for £1500 on the bay, I dont agree with nasty emails being sent to her.

But is she making a profit on a charity item? perhaps if the said knife was going for the same payed for in the original charity auction, or the excess from the ebay sale donated to the original charity, perhaps it would make it more ethical in most peoples eyes.

I am not sure if its the said £1500 knife but in my eyes if it was bought for say £600 and now being sold for £1500, then I would think it was bought just to make a profit and another person is just cashing in on rays name.

Perhaps Woody can supply more details to clarify this.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
her knife, she can set any price she pleases. If no one buys it then that's her problem. Anyone who thinks they have a right to interfere in how someone else carries on their private business can take a hike.

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
if you think £1500 is to expensive or you dont have £1500 ,dont buy the knife sending emails to a woman or anyone having a go is childish.

deepcmonkey

Forager
Nov 6, 2007
Oxford
Originally bought for £1371.89

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ray-Mears-Ant...ryZ16042QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and re-sold for £1,450

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=150196313880&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=005

Hardly a rip off, I'm sure you'll agree, especially when the paypal and ebay fees are considered too.

cheers,
Toddy

Seems a resonable price considering what she payed for it, as paypal fees are pretty ludicras.Perhaps if she had included these details in her ad she might not have recieved any emails from angry Bushcrafters thinking it was just another cash in.

I myself thought the original ad was taking the p##s, as I made a post about it on here, however before some one jumps on their high horse I did not email the seller and nor did any one else then point out in my thread how much it was bought for originally.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Was the said knife that one going for £1500 on the bay, I dont agree with nasty emails being sent to her.

But is she making a profit on a charity item? perhaps if the said knife was going for the same payed for in the original charity auction, or the excess from the ebay sale donated to the original charity, perhaps it would make it more ethical in most peoples eyes.

I am not sure if its the said £1500 knife but in my eyes if it was bought for say £600 and now being sold for £1500, then I would think it was bought just to make a profit and another person is just cashing in on rays name.

Perhaps Woody can supply more details to clarify this.

Mate, if she paid for the knife, it's her property and she can burn it, take an angle grinder to it, hit it with a hammer, or sell it for a million quid. This is not communist Britain (yet) and it's nobody's business but hers what she does with it. This whole sorry thing is all a bit "bushcraftier than thou" if you ask me.

The only detail you need to know, is that she bought the knife legally. Thereafter it is nobody elses business what she does with it. It's a blimmin knife, not a holy relic.

D

Deleted dude 7861

Just seems to me that anger and resentment are rife in this country and any opportunity to dish out self imposed justice is relished.

I really don't hold out much hope of the human race ever to be able to live with respect, understanding and tolerance!

All you can say Woody is that not all of us are like that and hope she can understand that there will always be people who like to force their opinions on others without debate or understanding, sad fact of life unfortunately but certainly hope it was nobody from here.

deepcmonkey

Forager
Nov 6, 2007
Oxford
Mate, if she paid for the knife, it's her property and she can burn it, take an angle grinder to it, hit it with a hammer, or sell it for a million quid. This is not communist Britain (yet) and it's nobody's business but hers what she does with it. This whole sorry thing is all a bit "bushcraftier than thou" if you ask me.

The only detail you need to know, is that she bought the knife legally. Thereafter it is nobody elses business what she does with it. It's a blimmin knife, not a holy relic.

First off Martyn I am not your mate, as you state this is not a communist country there for I am intilted to express my opinion. Also as the knife was placed on a public auction site that I use regularly so I believe it is my business and any one elses that views the item. If I feel I want to question the price I am quite within my rights.

WilliamEd

Sep 3, 2007
Yorkshire
Like most people state, it is her knife to do with, what she wishes. I think a lot of people are missing the point that the charity got over £1300. Nobody wanted to pay more which is why she won it, so realistically she donated the most to charity.

I have to admit when i stumbled upon it I thought it was just another person cashing in on the May Rears name but then when I looked around my room I realised that I have many items I have bought as investments. If this was for sale on ebay for £1450 in 12 months time, nobody would bat an eyelid. I think because it is so close to the original auction people assume it was only bought with the intention to make money.

Peoples situations change in the blink of an eye so give the poor girl a break. I wish her all the luck in the world with the auction and may even put a bid in myself to help.

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
This whole sorry thing is all a bit "bushcraftier than thou" if you ask me
Nail firmly hit on head there Martyn I reckon. There will always be a minority in every interest/hobby etc. suffering from an acute 'superiority complex' that feel it is their duty to bitch, whine and moan about anything misaligned with their own thinking. If the forwarding of cowardly and underhanded emails rocks their boat then fair play to their armchair bushcraftin' backsides

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
First off Martyn I am not your mate, as you state this is not a communist country there for I am intilted to express my opinion. Also as the knife was placed on a public auction site that I use regularly so I believe it is my business and any one elses that views the item. If I feel I want to question the price I am quite within my rights.

...but you are not entitled to question her ethics. Your entitlement to throw a punch, stops at the end of her nose.

You were wrong and you owe the lady an apology.

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Nail firmly hit on head there Martyn I reckon. There will always be a minority in every interest/hobby etc. suffering from an acute 'superiority complex' that feel it is their duty to bitch, whine and moan about anything misaligned with their own thinking. If the forwarding of cowardly and underhanded emails rocks their boat then fair play to their armchair bushcraftin' backsides

i think this statement truly hits the nail on the had

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE