Arrows

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Well, how many you have depends on a few things. 12 is a pretty good number, enough that if you break a couple you can continue shooting in a field shoot, but not so many as to be really expensive if you find you have goofed on the spine or fletching. I am assuming here that you are buying your shafting material and not making it from scratch from hazel wands, or splitting down boards. If that were the case, I would go for just six.

For fletching you would do best, in the beginning, to go with the commercially available turkey feathers. You can get them pre-cut, or trim your won from full length feathers. Trying to split down your own flight feathers is hard to do well without some practice and I wouldn't know where you would go to get such feathers.

There are fletching glues that you can buy, but they are not all compatible with the finishes that you might apply to seal the shafts, so do some experiments lest all you fletchings drop off :p

What kind of bow do you have, and what kind of archery are you interested in? Some more details of where you are now would be useful for folks to give relevant advice.

Aliwren

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Bedford
Most of the longbow archers at my club make their arrows in batches of 12 as we shoot target 6 arrows per end - 12 gives you a spare set and as every arrow will differ slighty it also gives you a good selection to get the most reliable 6 from.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
You can buy fletching jigs that help you align your feathers correctly when you glue them on.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Hi
Most of the hunter/gatherer setups ive seen on films documentaries etc seem carry only a few half a dozen at most. and if you go out roving with some pals thats really all you need. If you want to get into feild archery then go with a dozen as mentioned previously.
Remember when buying wooden shafts for a longbow that the spines are usually stated for recurves which generally need a stiffer spine that longbows. Go for a spine rated for 25-30% lighter that your actual draw weight ie 30lb shafts for a 40lb bow etc
If you are just starting out then you could do worse than pick up 6 assorted shafts, say 2 each of a range of weights and try them out to see which shafts come off the bow nicely. This will give good practice in fletching piling etc, give a good guide to the actual spine you need - and you wont be really naffed off if (when) you lose/break them. Then with this experience you can go and make a really nice set of 12 and be the envy of evrybody on the firing line (OK scrub that last bit maybe)

Cheers
Nick

C_Claycomb said:
Well, how many you have depends on a few things. 12 is a pretty good number, enough that if you break a couple you can continue shooting in a field shoot, but not so many as to be really expensive if you find you have goofed on the spine or fletching. I am assuming here that you are buying your shafting material and not making it from scratch from hazel wands, or splitting down boards. If that were the case, I would go for just six.

For fletching you would do best, in the beginning, to go with the commercially available turkey feathers. You can get them pre-cut, or trim your won from full length feathers. Trying to split down your own flight feathers is hard to do well without some practice and I wouldn't know where you would go to get such feathers.

There are fletching glues that you can buy, but they are not all compatible with the finishes that you might apply to seal the shafts, so do some experiments lest all you fletchings drop off :p

What kind of bow do you have, and what kind of archery are you interested in? Some more details of where you are now would be useful for folks to give relevant advice.
I'm making my shafts from scratch, I use a bow that generally fires arrows of about 29" long but this is flexible; I try to experiment. At the moment I tend to glue then stitch the feathers on. Often I just use goose or pheasant feathers as I can find them easily (I know people with geese). :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE