Argos 1man tent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
Sorry to reopen an old thread.
About a year ago there was a lot of discussion about the Argos Pro Action 1man tent, available now for £15.

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...atalogId=3151&productId=129331&clickfrom=name

I presume that some of you have since bought one of these as a result of the positive reviews it got. What are your present views on this tent? Whats the midge protection like ?(one reason I prefer a tent over a tarp, the other being that I mainly camp on treeless offshore islands)

It's hard to make out from the pic on the Argos site but, unfortunately, it seems no longer to be a discrete green - but silver.

I know £15 isent much money - but I have lied to my wife so often about the real price of kit I've bought that theres no way she's not going to believe that I spent £200 on it if I get one ;)

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
I think the current tent is quite different in design from the one that got the rave reviews.. what little I've seen would suggest that it's not really a match for it.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
anthonyyy said:
I know £15 isent much money - but I have lied to my wife so often about the real price of kit I've bought that theres no way she's not going to believe that I spent £200 on it if I get one ;)

Ahh, but just for once you can actually show her the receipt and/or weblink to prove you only spent £14.99 ;)

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
I think this is the Argos Pro-Action tent that had the good reviews:

I have one and its not a bad little tent. It has an inner and an outer fly that has a decent gap between them, so good ventilation. Pitching up is very easy too, stake out the inner fly and the outer one `snap-links` onto it. It comes with two good quality ali hoops with shock cord. Im not sure how good it is with midges but the mesh looks pretty small enough to deter most nasties. Space inside is good for a one-man job as I get my bergan in there too. Its green and weighs 1.5Kgs so pretty light.

Regarding the one at Argos currently (pro-action sydney) I dont think its had such good reviews, but hey for £15 worth a try..!?! That was the reason I bought mine ;)

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
The older model looks great at the price. I think I might just chance buying the newer ridge tent though. At that price you can't go far wrong.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
The thing is that for 15 quid, if it lasts only 1 year it's a bargain... when you consider that some "good" well known tents can cost £400+, they'd have to last more than 26 years if you buy a 15 quid Argos tent each year to make the value up.

Sometimes I do wonder about the sanity of all this!

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
Squidders said:
The thing is that for 15 quid, if it lasts only 1 year it's a bargain... when you consider that some "good" well known tents can cost £400+, they'd have to last more than 26 years if you buy a 15 quid Argos tent each year to make the value up.

I could always buy the cheap one and sew on a label from an expensive tent - dont want the other children to laugh at me.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
The old Argos tent is indeed midge proof and waterproof - tested thoroughly by myself. Cameron Mcneish reviewed it and rated it highly. Still available on ebay sometimes.

The new one I think is single skin, but at £15......

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE