Tempted by an RAC thermal blanket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
I've struggled for a good while now keeping my back warm in my hammock. There are solutions such as a sheepskin (cheers to Chiseller) but they are bulky.
Emergency blankets are hit and miss, but definitely not for winter. Then under blankets, for me a bit bulky, pricey and a one trick pony. (Don't get me wrong, I'm buying one this year).

So, I came across these RAC thermal blankets at halfords for a tenner.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...&productId=735861&categoryId=165664&langId=-1

I've not seen one in person yet, but they might just be perfect for hammocks. I'm gonna pick one up and see what I can do with them. I'm thinking.... Jerven bag, tarp, ground sheet.

Of anyone's got one or messed with one, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Steve.

touched by nature

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
does indeed look interesting - are they the same? cant see much info on the halfords page

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
I'm guessing it isn't breathable though, which may lead to a damp hammock. Something you don't get with an under blanket. Does look good though.

That's something I'd overlooked :banghead: but saying that, I've used normal survival blankets with no damp issues.
I'm off into town tomorrow, I'll pick one up and have a look. Hope it doesn't end up in the same pile as my NBC casualty bag. :eek:

touched by nature

sycamour

Forager
Dec 10, 2012
south east
That's something I'd overlooked :banghead: but saying that, I've used normal survival blankets with no damp issues.
I'm off into town tomorrow, I'll pick one up and have a look. Hope it doesn't end up in the same pile as my NBC casualty bag. :eek:

touched by nature

Keep us posted, looking for something for under the bivvy.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
I've collected the blanket. Don't have any scales to weigh it, but I'd say it's the weight of a pair of arctic socks.
9yza2uvu.jpg

Size beside a load of bread. Roughly 1m x 2ish m
da5ehere.jpg

It seems to be a thick survival blanket bonded to a soft paper like material.
u9eby6en.jpg

pe2abeze.jpg

Quite sturdy. It folds back up well.
ude6u6eq.jpg

re8umugy.jpg

I stood outside with it wrapped around my top half wearing a t shirt while having a fag. It does stop the wind, and was toasty. I know it's not particularly cold today but it was with a try.

When I get chance I'll rig it under the hammock to try as a cold barrier. First thoughts. Quietly impressed.

touched by nature

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I've collected the blanket. Don't have any scales to weigh it, but I'd say it's the weight of a pair of arctic socks.
9yza2uvu.jpg

Size beside a load of bread. Roughly 1m x 2ish m
da5ehere.jpg

It seems to be a thick survival blanket bonded to a soft paper like material.
u9eby6en.jpg

pe2abeze.jpg

Quite sturdy. It folds back up well.
ude6u6eq.jpg

re8umugy.jpg

I stood outside with it wrapped around my top half wearing a t shirt while having a fag. It does stop the wind, and was toasty. I know it's not particularly cold today but it was with a try.

When I get chance I'll rig it under the hammock to try as a cold barrier. First thoughts. Quietly impressed.

touched by nature

Great stuff - do you think it will last? If the paper stuff get's soggy perhaps?

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

touched by nature

Yay, I'd like to know how you like it, might get one, sounds a very good idea.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
I've had a corner submerged in a glass of water for 5 minutes. Just come back to it. It seems to have soaked up a fair amount. The backing hasn't come away, degraded nor is it dripping or leaking. It only feels a little damp.

As I've been typing this it has dried out. Strange stuff.

I'd be happy to try this still under my hammock, but don't think it will be strong enough to tie down as a tarp, but I'll try that to o anyway. Still hopeful it has some good uses.

touched by nature

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I wonder how much cheaper it would be to buy these in quantity as if for a group buy or something? The Mediwrap website does not give prices sadly.

http://www.medicalinnovations.co.uk/contact/
I can see other applications for this other than hammocking. One in the and/or one in the rucksack for emergencies looks like a sensible option. Summer bivouacs too. If the price is right, I'd be up for a group buy.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I can see other applications for this other than hammocking. One in the and/or one in the rucksack for emergencies looks like a sensible option. Summer bivouacs too. If the price is right, I'd be up for a group buy.

Yes I was thinking more in the line of keeping one in the glove compartment of the car or in a daysack.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE