Tempted by an RAC thermal blanket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
First let me say, unfortunately I took no pictures, my phone was flat but more importantly the setup looked a disgrace, just a quick botch up to see how it went. :banghead:

So yesterday evening I hung my hammock in the garden. I managed a few minutes before my back was cold. :(

I then unzipped my 2 season super light roben bag. (Packs down to the size of a grapefruit) and hung it beneath the hammock with shock cord. The bag had not been modified so it looked horrendous. This time I managed about 15 - 20 minute before I felt the cold. (By this time it was about 8:30pm, cold and windy) :(

I then attached the thermal blanket over the bag, securing it with making tape and cord so it fully enveloped the bag. (Hence the reason no pictures).... What a difference. No child spots, no wind, lovely and warm. I'm amazed at the difference it made. I spent about an hour in there, and could have stopped all night.

I don't have a decent under quilt yet, but I imagine my setup would be as warm if not warmer.

The size of the robens bag with the blanket is very small. About the same size as my dd hammock, so smaller than most under quilts. :thumbup:

I need to try this out again, this time modifying the bag to be an under quilt/cocoon, and a way of securing the blanket in an aesthetically pleasing way :lmao:

The blanket was ready to be used again afterwards, no damage unlike standard survival blankets. I would imagine this could be used between the layers on a hammock many times and not get shredded up.

touched by nature

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I went on a first aid course this week with St. John's and asked if I could buy a Mediwrap off them but not only did they not have any in stock they had never even seen one! It must be a new product working its way into the system. I did buy a first aid kit off them £10.00 which was the same one they flog for £16.00 on line. The quality of the kit was very good indeed.

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
I was thinking of trying it between the layers of my DD instead of my thermarest. In the spring and summer it seems like it might be a less bulkier option.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE