archery law ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 11, 2006
brecon
hi guys (and gals) can anyone find me a link that gives the law concerning archery in the uk ? ive looked for 2 weeks and keep drawing a blank.

i found the old stuff like you had to, under pain of death practise in the medevil times, and the even better one that if you off,d some one while practasing you were absolved (lol very handy) but i cant find any modern ones
need to now as ive just bought a bow. the thing thats confusing me is you can legally spear fish in this country (didnt know this till recently ) but therefore can you fish with a bow ? hunting is apparently a nono but is that on your own land or any ? and does anyone know where to buy broadheads as most of the sites ive been to wont ship to the uk

well any help would be appreciated thanks lyn.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Howdy!
If you take a look in Fair Game, the law is discussed in detail there :)

In short, hunting with a bow is illegal, full stop. I find it odd too that you can spearfish but not bowhunt, but there ye go. Perhaps they're assuming that it's harder to miss with a spear? :confused: Dunno mate... kinda saddens me, I always wanted to hunt something with a bow. Ach well, there's always a holiday in America I guess...!

EDIT: Just dug up that thread :)
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=18038

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
From what I remember,
Broadhead arrows can only be legally used in the UK for "One Specific" target tournament - it might be the "Crecy Silver Challace Challenge", but you have to be a member of the relevant societies in order to purchase them - aside from the challenge being for "War weight" bows (90lb draw minimum :eek: )
Apart from that they are "Grandtemps Verboten"
The bow hunting restriction applies on any land, even if it is your own. No links I'm affraid, its just what I've learnt from membership of BLBS and the Royal Tox society years ago!

Aliwren,
My first longbow was a Richard Head - subsequent ones were by Ron Bickerstaff.

ATB

Ogri the trog

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
Hi lyndon

Don't waste your time with UK bowhunting legislation its a non starter, the spear fishing thing broadly goes back to eel 'cleeves' not sure of the spelling.

If you are serious about bowhunting there are plenty of enlightened countries in Europe, America and Africa.

Happy hunting Pothunter.

JimN

Forager
Feb 7, 2006
The Amber Valley
lyndon said:
hi guys (and gals) can anyone find me a link that gives the law concerning archery in the uk ? ive looked for 2 weeks and keep drawing a blank.

i found the old stuff like you had to, under pain of death practise in the medevil times, and the even better one that if you off,d some one while practasing you were absolved (lol very handy) but i cant find any modern ones
need to now as ive just bought a bow. the thing thats confusing me is you can legally spear fish in this country (didnt know this till recently ) but therefore can you fish with a bow ? hunting is apparently a nono but is that on your own land or any ? and does anyone know where to buy broadheads as most of the sites ive been to wont ship to the uk

well any help would be appreciated thanks lyn.
Presumably you're after the modern broadheads as opposed to the mediaeval ones you can find on sites like Richard Heads. I do not think they are specifically illegal but I can imagine it would be a case of "hunting's illegal so why would you want a broad-head?". If you are really after such a thing you can try (if you've not already) 3Rivers Archery. They definitely deliver some stuff to the UK, but whether that includes broad-heads I couldn't say. Failing that there's TradGang.Com, an American now-hunting forum.

So, tell me a bit more about this bow you've just bought and what type of archery you do? (just out of general nosiness :))

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
Ogri the trog said:
From what I remember,
Broadhead arrows can only be legally used in the UK for "One Specific" target tournament - it might be the "Crecy Silver Challace Challenge", but you have to be a member of the relevant societies in order to purchase them - aside from the challenge being for "War weight" bows (90lb draw minimum :eek: )
Apart from that they are "Grandtemps Verboten"
The bow hunting restriction applies on any land, even if it is your own. No links I'm affraid, its just what I've learnt from membership of BLBS and the Royal Tox society years ago!

Aliwren,

ATB

Ogri the trog

I have sevaral exemplar arrows with both bodkins, type 3's and swallowtails just for show. I sometimes give the bodkins an outing at roving marks.

It's quite tru that you won't find anyone to sell you modern broadheads.

I have a set in Spain in the keeping of a mate over there.

For Chapter and verse see the countryside act 1981 that specifies no wild animals can be taked with a bow,arrow, spear, crossbow etc, etc.

Aliwren

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Bedford
Ogri the trog said:
Aliwren,
Ogri the trog

My longbow is a Pip Bickerstaffe and although I have only been shooting it 3 months I am loving it!!!

Jan 11, 2006
brecon
So, tell me a bit more about this bow you've just bought and what type of archery you do? (just out of general nosiness )

ok here goes ....
its a bowtech old glory last years model (so a bit cheaper) its 40-50 lb got it turned down to 40 at the moment till i get some degree of accuracy then ill crank it back up to max.
i am deffinalty persuing feild archery as apposed to any kind of target archery, i visited a course last week neer abergaveny with hawk archers, shot at foam decoys and animal targets it was better than ide hoped allthough it is true your are limited with a bow with sites if they only cover a certain range
much more fun than sticking arrows in a target face over and over
and i cant be doing bad as half way through the club president type person said "its about time you bloody missed " lol
thanks for the info again guys ill check out the links but failing that anyone got a lathe and a miller i can borrow :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE