Anyone tried Biltong

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Greenpete

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2004
Oxfordshire
www.greenpete.co.uk
Hi!
I used to eat a fair bit of biltong when I lived in South Africa and love it.
The biltong there as you would expect is wonderful and if you have a friend going that way maybe they could bring you some back?
You can get it in London though I couldn't tell you which shops, sorry.
I have seen it aroung in pubs but the prices over here are criminal and the meat contains preservitives! What bone head thought of putting preservitives in dried meat?!
You can of course make it your self and there are websites covering this.
I have just done a very quick search and there's loads, try this one; http://www.biltongmakers.com Hope this helps.
All the best, Pete

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
For the Cardiffians here, Wally's delicatessan in the Hayes sells biltong. In the arcade by spillers, near camera land.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
For the Cardiffians here, Wally's delicatessan in the Hayes sells biltong. In the arcade by spillers, near camera land.
If its the place I'm thinking of, they sell a wide range of of smoked and dried meats and sausages..... they also stock alot of dehydrated veg (pease, beans, onions, .... loads). I love the place. :biggthump

Ed

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I have once, it didn't strike me as the best, but it was pretty good. But maybe that was because i had just got some of the genuine article from a Biltong shop in Cape Town!

It's also pretty pricey.

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
A South African friend of mine introduced me to Biltong in the Springbok bar in London whilst forcing me to drink Hunters Gold, enjoyed both. I liked Biltong more than Jerky, but thats just me!

B

bombadil

Just a thought....
A friend from South Africa once told me that his mother makes biltong by hanging strips of beef down the back of the fridge. Definately worth a try.....

leon-1

Grasshopper said:
Hi Leon

Yes, along time ago. Bit salty, and with a pretty meaty flavour. I had genuine ostritch stuff. The droevers (dried sausages) are also excellent. I have no idea where you would get these now, sorry :?:

Thanks, this thread is a complete mine of information, to be honest I wasn't massively struck with the Ostrich either, but the others have been really good and some of the links that the guys have put on here have been superb, have a look see (the prices in this thread are better than most that I have come across too) :biggthump

c2518

Nov 1, 2004
Cumbria
Biltong is the king of trail meats!!You can get commercially available biltong driers witha selection of spice kits from EBay or Gumtree. My particular favourite is Kudu, although there are only limited places over here that can supply it. I know of a small South African shop about 50m from Acton Town LUL station that has a selection and an excellent SA supermarket in Newham that does all sorts of scoobie snacks from SA. Of course, if you want to dry your own the best way would be using an old negative drier, the one with the bottom mounted fan, this allows the meat to hang above and works a treat. unfortunately the cost of red meat here makes it a pricey item. Hope this is of help

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE