Anyone tried Biltong

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-1

Tantalus said:
the americans call it jerky

or at least their version of it

you can make it at home too

search google

or read here http://homecooking.about.com/library/weekly/aa100702a.htm

Tant

Tant don't say the jerky thing in front of any south africans, they are very protective of biltong. I just wondered if anyone else had tried it as a trail food. So far I have only come across 4 flavours to buy (beef, peri-peri, peppered and Ostrich) and wondered if people had come across other flavours.

I must admit that I had a bit of a search on the net to find out more about it, thought it quite interesting that some of the recipes they dry it over a light bulb for 4 - 5 days :shock:

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
How big is a 50g pack?

I know I know 50g! shame on you for even thinking that reply :nono:

Is it enough to taste or make a whole meal or what?

Bill

leon-1

tenbears10 said:
How big is a 50g pack?

I know I know 50g! shame on you for even thinking that reply :nono:

Is it enough to taste or make a whole meal or what?

Bill

Bill, the packs that I am currently using are 34gm. One pack with half a pack of noodles will make a good meal (the meat re-hydrates and expands to be a fair bit more than 34gm).

They weigh virtually nothing and six packs should see you through 3 days quite happily :eek:):

Size wise a 34gm pack is about 3" X 4" X 0.5", I would give you exact dimensions, but have recently finished my last pack and my bins were emptied this morning. I will be getting some more this weekend :wink:.

As far as flavour is concerned, you will taste it, especially the Peri-Peri and the peppered :)

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
So Leon is that website a good price? I think there is a butchers I know who sells it so I will have a look at the weekend as well. It lasts for ages doesn't it? I assume that is the idea.

Bill

leon-1

Cost wise the website is very good value for money, Biltong should last in the same way that Jerky does as in the end it is a dried salted meat, it just adds a bit more variety.

To be honest I wasn't overly smitten with the Ostrich, it kept on trying to kick me and its feathers get stuck in your teeth :eek:):.

Is the butchers near you a Loyd Maunders :?: If so they will have it, I asked recently and they said that they will be keeping it in stock as it is rather popular. :)

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
The butchers is a one off and it is near where I'm going for the weekend but not near my home. I will look in and see what the price is like. If it is good stuff then I can eaisly order online from the place above.

Bill

Quill

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 29, 2004
Wisconsin
As for "the American form of it jerky." It is as old as this country and before. I have tried beef, turkey, and buffalo or bison. I do like it made from the buff. Oh yeah I have had elk and venison. I believe Hoodo's sight has info. on making it. Some make it at home with ground beef and use their ovens to dry it. I prefer the use of fairly good cuts of meat to be used.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Biltong proper is South African and part of the process includes a bit of brine vinegar. I've tried it and enjoyed it. Jerky is merely dried meat and it can indeed go rancid or mold under the right conditions. It has just enough moisture content to get you in trouble. Proper jerky is so tasty it never has a chance anyway. Many meats and fish are salted, but not jerky. There is a third preparation called pemmican of North American fame. This is ( almost always) buffalo that is jerked to virtually no water content, pounded into a crumb and then mixed with rendered fat from the same animal. Sometimes wild berries were mashed in providing a near nutrient perfect ration of near indestructable shelf life. It has a decidedly different taste altogether. Finally, compliments of our parents and grandparents time we have-----SPAM :shock:

M

murf

Have you ever thought of making it yourself. I do in the garage. I have a box 800x400x300 with a 100watt light bulb in the bottom and a small pannel fan on the top with some air holes drilled along the bottom sides. I use braising stake as it is pretty cheap and makes good biltong. cut your stake into strips50mm or so soak them in mix of corse salt and black pepper you can sprinkle with vinegar.(i think it makes it taste really good) Then hang it in the box on paper clips at the top of the box and in three days or so you have some really good biltong. Have a go, much cheaper than the shops.

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
I make it using brisket, I use salpetre in the curing mix plus salt and a little sugar plus any spices I fancy. I've got an old Hereford recipe for salt beef which is much the same aside from it's done as a single joint and is meant to be cooked but I tend to dry it completely and slice it as you would for an air dried ham.
I've made it with muntjack meat too and it comes out wonderful.
It's easy enough to dry out in an over if the slices are thin, for solid lumps of meat I stick it in front of the ventig fan for my workshop for a couple of weeks.

Realgar

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE