Anyone fancy a bit of biving on the Brecon Beacons?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Timm

Sep 15, 2005
Gloucestershire
I’m planning on going walkabout on the Brecon’s for 3 or 4 days. There are a couple of wild camp sites at SN 918084 & SN 922193 and they don’t seem to mind if small groups bivi (no tents) out of the way some where.

There will be a chance to use your hammock on one of the nights if you like.

I was planning to go around the end of March, starting at Storey Arms which is on the A470 at the base of Pen y Fan and heading over to Pontneddfechan. This will take in a bit of hill walking, some woods and some great waterfalls one of which you can walk behind.

So if anyone is up for it let me know.

Tim

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Be aware that there's no open fires at the second site you mentioned.

Although you're probably looking at the same document as me and already know that. :)

Woods Wanderer

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 26, 2006
lincolnshire
would you mind if i came im more into the primitive but will bring gear so as not to be a nusence im 18 dont know if you would prefer any one older if thats all ok could you pm me with details (time dates were to meet stuff to bring and all that) how many people are going thanks

Jan 11, 2006
brecon
anyone posting in this thread local to brecon ? i am about 9 miles away actually anything i can do to help let me know also pm me details and ill see if i can drop buy (i so hate walking lol)not really built for it also i have shooting permission over most of the surounding land may or may not help but at least i know a lot of the farmers cheers guys anyone feel free to pm me if you live close

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
There are a couple of wild camp sites at SN 918084 & SN 922193
I know SN918084 really well. I've been using it myself since I was about 16yrs old..... its about a 2-3hr walk from my doorstep :) It can get crowded in the summer as its a favorite spot for larger drinking crowds, as seen by all the beer cans and rubbish left about. It used to be a lovely spot. I havn't been their in a year or two, so it may have had a full clean up (I know there was a plan to)

I'm pretty busy and booked up at the mo, but let me know your dates and I'll see if I can wander over for the night and join your camp fire :)

:D
Ed

Woods Wanderer

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 26, 2006
lincolnshire
is there anywere that some of us could meet up that somone not local can find
il go halfs on petrol if it comes to it (doesnt feel quite right to be saying on the net that ill hop into a strangers car with money)

Timm

Sep 15, 2005
Gloucestershire
Woods Wanderer said:
is there anywere that some of us could meet up that somone not local can find
il go halfs on petrol if it comes to it (doesnt feel quite right to be saying on the net that ill hop into a strangers car with money)

"Quite Right To" I wouldn't do it!

I will be traveling there by train & bus, from Bristol to Merthyr Tydfil by Train then bus to storey arms, my Wife will be picking me up from Pontneddfechan, so why don't we meet at Merthyr train station?

I would be happy to give a couple of people a lift back to Merthyr on the Sunday by then we'll all know each other. (make sure you know the train time so I can get you back there on time try to make it after 1pm)

At the moment the two that have shown an interest are Wood Wanderer & Gaz Miggy I will PM you both by the end of the week with the time I will be getting to Merthyr train station

Ed will be at SN918084 for the Saturday night if you want to came along or anyone else for that matter.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Cheers..... I know the route you'll be roughly taking,.... well .... I know the waterfalls you'll be passing and walking behind ;)..... so I may take a wander up the river to meet you. Keep your ears out for a penny whistle :)

Ed

M@rk

Forager
Aug 31, 2005
Purley, (south London) Surrey
I’m very tempted but it would depend on the mileage your doing in a day and what time you intending to meet at the Storey Arms. I’d be coming up from London which would take five or six hours. Can you pm some info.

Jan 11, 2006
brecon
ok heres where i look like a real noob where the heck is SN918084 ?

anyone know a name for it that i would know ? im local so never needed to find most of these places with a map

ps. if anyone needs a lift from merthyr train sation to the story arms i can help its goona cost you £10 in a taxi and if your talking about the water falls at the bottom of the "glen" i can take you right to it cheers peeps

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
ok heres where i look like a real noob where the heck is SN918084?
No worries mate ;) SN918084 is the OS Map referance. Go here http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/getamap/ and click the 'I want to get a map now' and put in the co-ordinates (no spaces).

If you know the area already...... SN918084 is the overnight wild camp site near Dinnas rock.... From Dinnas rock, follow the river upstream towards the old gunpowder works. Its on the banks of the river and on same side of the river as Dinnas rock. So just follow the public footpath from the car-park at Dinnas Rock upstream till you get to the large clearing.

Hope this helps :D

Ed

Timm

Sep 15, 2005
Gloucestershire
lyndon said:
ok heres where i look like a real noob where the heck is SN918084 ?

anyone know a name for it that i would know ? im local so never needed to find most of these places with a map

ps. if anyone needs a lift from merthyr train sation to the story arms i can help its goona cost you £10 in a taxi and if your talking about the water falls at the bottom of the "glen" i can take you right to it cheers peeps

Thanks for the offer of a lift but I'm happy to use the bus (X43) which if all goes to plan should get there about lunch time.

Why don't you come along.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE