any good

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Wolf, i've been using a helle trofe for a about 3months now and have found it to be very reliable especially for the price. Holds an edge really well and using a DC4 i have no trouble keeping it sharp in the field.

Used is for the first time a few weeks back for spliting and it held up to that with no problems.

I cant use mine very well for say pounding nettle cordage as the tang protruds at the end so that it can "clip" onto the sheath, but i dont think this is on that knife. Also as standard the spine of the blade on mine is a little too soft to be of much use with a firesteel so a bit of filing may be in order to achieve this.

All in all though the blades on Helle knives are imho of exceptional quality for a machine made knife.

Just be careful though....if you buy this ONE utility knife you will end up buying another and another and another :D :D

andyn said:
Wolf, i've been using a helle trofe for a about 3months now and have found it to be very reliable especially for the price. Holds an edge really well and using a DC4 i have no trouble keeping it sharp in the field.

Used is for the first time a few weeks back for spliting and it held up to that with no problems.

I cant use mine very well for say pounding nettle cordage as the tang protruds at the end so that it can "clip" onto the sheath, but i dont think this is on that knife. Also as standard the spine of the blade on mine is a little too soft to be of much use with a firesteel so a bit of filing may be in order to achieve this.

All in all though the blades on Helle knives are imho of exceptional quality for a machine made knife.

Just be careful though....if you buy this ONE utility knife you will end up buying another and another and another :D :D
no its one life one knife....honest... ;)

jerv

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
sussex
I had a helle symphoni I loved it but unfortunatly it ended up at the bottom of a river! for the price you can't really go wrong

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
whetstone will do the job nicely. Axminister is where i got mine from on recommendation from here. The 1000/6000 combination stone.

Don't buy any of those sharpening "keyring" tools as they will end up putting a double bevel on it. They are good for kitchen knives and penknives though :)

John_UK

Oct 2, 2005
I think I have seen this seller before on ebay.
The cost including postage is normally about £5 more than Heinnie sell the same
knives for. I have no interest in any company selling knves.

JoshG

Nomad
Sep 23, 2005
Stockton-on-tees, England.
andyn said:
whetstone will do the job nicely. Axminister is where i got mine from on recommendation from here. The 1000/6000 combination stone.

Don't buy any of those sharpening "keyring" tools as they will end up putting a double bevel on it. They are good for kitchen knives and penknives though :)
I got my 1000/6000 combi Japanese waterstone from Axminster. :)
Great piece of kit for the price.

John_UK

Oct 2, 2005
I'm not promoting any company. I have purchased from several companies including Heinnie. I posted to help members find a better price.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE