Another Snow Smock (went slightly wrong)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
There has been loads of Swedish Snow Smocks on here and all fantastic. So when I grabbed one at the bushcraft show I felt I had to mod it a bit.

Here's the original

da8b8ced7e207d2e3c96423469867aba_zpsa0a9b4b4.jpg

I then thought I'd dye it as its an easy mod (ha), and would look better than walking around in an off white smock in the woods. Chose to go with brown and followed the instructions for hand dying. Unfortunately too small a bucket and I guess not enough dye has resulted in this :eek: :eek: :eek:

dcf06ee96625f24f3838253b2582b727_zpsce5c2798.jpg

It's tie dye :p

I was initially miffed to say the least. But I let it dry and had a look, and now I quite like it. It's not camo, its not flat colour, its a gone wrong thing but its not too bad. For now I'm leaving it as is. If I get the mick taken wearing it I can always dye it again.

I've also given it toggles in place of the original rubbish buttons. And it's had a wash with some cotton proof to help its shower resistance.

All comments welcome, I'm aware this one may be marmite :cool:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
At first glance, before I read your miffed comment, I thought you'd done that on purpose. Looks good. [Lets face it, we'd all get stared at, wearing half the stuff we do, anywhere except the woods]

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
Marmite or not I like that .
Nice to be different and the colour is cool you could always give it to me if you decide you don't like it :p
Well done nice ending to a muckin fuddle .

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Cheers guys

I quite like the smock. The cuffs are a bit snug so I see why people mod them too. However that's beyond my sewing skills. It's a good heavy cotton and should work well as a general windbreak.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
I like it, the problem is how to replicate it

I have no idea. Kitchen bucket, box of dylon, all should have gone smoothly. But the smocks bigger and heavier when wet than I'd realised so it filled the bucket and was obviously cramped I guess and the tight weave of the cloth meant the dye did not run well through the folds, etc.
I should have gone for the washing machine version but thought the Mrs may kill me if the next batch of clothes all came out brown :)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I like it... and if you go with a green you'll get a very suitable camo pattern which doesn't scream at you.

I have no idea. Kitchen bucket, box of dylon, all should have gone smoothly. But the smocks bigger and heavier when wet than I'd realised so it filled the bucket and was obviously cramped I guess and the tight weave of the cloth meant the dye did not run well through the folds, etc.
I should have gone for the washing machine version but thought the Mrs may kill me if the next batch of clothes all came out brown :)

Did you make sure the smock was sopping wet before you put it in the bucket of dye?

And as Sam said the machine wash is fine so long as you do an empty cycle after using it for dying and then just to be safe a machine load of clothes you don't mind if they go a slight off colour. That's worked for me every time :)

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I have had no problem with machine washes provided you run an empty cycle afterwards. You need at least 1.5 packs of Dylon for a snow smock as they are quite heavy.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I like that, and it is sort of camo! I remember a thread non here a few years ago when I used to frequent this excellent forum more often about snow smocks and the dying there of. A few chaps made there own camo patterns and very good they were, camo patterns but somehow not screaming Special special forces Rambo turbo nutter *******!

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
I like it... and if you go with a green you'll get a very suitable camo pattern which doesn't scream at you.

Did you make sure the smock was sopping wet before you put it in the bucket of dye?

And as Sam said the machine wash is fine so long as you do an empty cycle after using it for dying and then just to be safe a machine load of clothes you don't mind if they go a slight off colour. That's worked for me every time :)

Hmm. Green on top of the brown. Not thought of that. I like that idea a lot. May wear and mucky it a bit first then do a green dye when next being washed :)

Will definitely use machine next time too.

Honestly not sure i did soak it? My memory is shocking with this cold I have. I think I washed it prior to dye, so I guess it was spun so damp.

I have had no problem with machine washes provided you run an empty cycle afterwards. You need at least 1.5 packs of Dylon for a snow smock as they are quite heavy.

Ah, now there's a fact I could have used before ;)
But it's all turned out well, and if I sort the green too, then perfect.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Hmm. Green on top of the brown. Not thought of that. I like that idea a lot. May wear and mucky it a bit first then do a green dye when next being washed :)

Will definitely use machine next time too.

Honestly not sure i did soak it? My memory is shocking with this cold I have. I think I washed it prior to dye, so I guess it was spun so damp.

Ah, now there's a fact I could have used before ;)
But it's all turned out well, and if I sort the green too, then perfect.

With machine dylon, wash the item first and take it out of the machine, put the contents of the packet into the machine drum, cover with the recommended amount of salt (600g from memory) and place the smock in the machine. wash it on a cotton cycle, then wash it again on a cotton cycle with some mild detergent or soap flakes, then finally, to preserve your relationship, run the machine on a cotton cycle with detergent but empty. One pack is good for 650g of fabric. More fabric than that (ie the smock) and you will get a lighter colour.

It's not rocket science and it works well.Good luck

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Now that is information I can use :)
Hmm stuff straight in drum. I wondered that. Was thinking for a green wash I may get away with one pack as it only has to pick up on the lighter bits?
Not as planned but a two tone semi camo will work out better than planned :)

With machine dylon, wash the item first and take it out of the machine, put the contents of the packet into the machine drum, cover with the recommended amount of salt (600g from memory) and place the smock in the machine. wash it on a cotton cycle, then wash it again on a cotton cycle with some mild detergent or soap flakes, then finally, to preserve your relationship, run the machine on a cotton cycle with detergent but empty. One pack is good for 650g of fabric. More fabric than that (ie the smock) and you will get a lighter colour.

It's not rocket science and it works well.Good luck

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think that's very wearable, especially the kind of places it's likely to get worn :D

Treadlightly's advice is very sound :) and Sam's idea works ;) but you can always use a washed out dustbin to get a big enough container.

cheers,
Toddy

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Now that is information I can use :)
Hmm stuff straight in drum. I wondered that. Was thinking for a green wash I may get away with one pack as it only has to pick up on the lighter bits?
Not as planned but a two tone semi camo will work out better than planned :)

Bear in mind the green will dye all the smock not just the lighter bits. So you will get green mixed with whatever green and brown make!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE