Another nail in the coffin of freedom

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
ps what model of rifle have you got?

:rolmao:

I find hunting with airrifles dreadfully difficult. I had one bad experience where i shot down a magpie then didnt have the stomach to eat it, i have never felt so bad! As for rabbits, i would eat one that i have killed but i never see them, tips?

Also...with regards to the ridiculous politics, i agree that some of these rules are getting plain stupid. But i think that we will always have some control over our (UK) government as it is we who vote. We are also unafraid to voice opinion. We should only start worrying when the law takes the law into its own hands (if you get my meaning :roll: :-D )

But perhaps the majority (or at least a good number) couldnt care less about these issues. :-x

Cheers,

Jake

Mar 2, 2004
you were right not to eat the maggie m8.and as notorious raiders on songbirds nests i wouldnt hesitate to blow one or two away.thats if you can get close enough to them.[better to draw them in by making owl sounds which makes them go daft]

tips for rabbits? dont go after them when its been or is raining,go early morning and evenings.lamping is v.productive.also dont go in the breeding months as a belly full of baby rabbits falling out with the guts and still wriggling about is not for the squemish and will make you cry like a girl lol.you,ll never be able to watch watership down again :cry:

seems to me that thr government is constantly searching for new things to interfere with and STOP! they stop more things than they start ***!!!

carry on regardless,after all "the best defence to suppression is to flourish and prosper"-LRH. :lol:

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
cry like a girl lol.you,ll never be able to watch watership down again
:lol:

I did know that magpies were pests, its just that it felt wrong for me not eating what i had just killed! I suppose there is one animal i wouldnt feel so bad about killing...rats (and no, i wouldnt eat it either!).

Adi was telling me about snares, i might try that, would i then despatch with an airrifle?
(and of course then eat it)
Jake

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Jake magpies are incredibly tasty - very like roast beef.

Tips for rabbits - If in a new area I usually recce it first look for sign or sightings of thumper and his mates.

Once I know where they are I usually look for routes in and out (especially if Im not supposed to be there).

Finally I revisit every just before dawn or dusk.

When shooting I usually try to do only head shoots and will not shoot if I think I might miss or wound the beasty. That way once one goes down I leave it in the hope others hang around or came back. If I wasnt sure of the kill however I would break cover and make sure the animal wasnt suffering.

One interesting side effect of these rules which I am looking into is directly effecting courses - if butchers arent allowed to sell rabbits with the fur on it appears (and thus far it is the advice I'm getting) that on a bushcraft/survival course we will no longer be able to butcher rabbits or birds etc ourselves. This would be a sad day - but as I say I am looking into and will let you all know what I find.

Lets hope they dont pass a rule on selling fish unfilletted or something!

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I cant quite get my head round these laws...why doesnt the government spend its energy on something that makes sense?! :evil:

Anyway, cheers for the tips gary. Are they common place? What signs do i look for before setting cover?

Cheers,

Jake

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Look for well drained - fairly open spaces - that would be most likely in the first instance. Rabbits will use regualr runs and watch stations so look for large piles of pooh that will give you the best chance.

As for hides to shoot from that depends on ability - are you a good shot?

Another good tip is to set snares on all likely escape routes - that way even if you miss the bunny you might catch his mates as they run away.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I dont have a brilliant rifle. It is an edgar brothers mod .60. Very powerful (i think it has now becom illegal, about 13ft/lbs). I can certainly pick out small targets from a reasonable range, possibly a rabbit head 8/10 shots from 45/50 ft .
I went to a rifle shooting range somewhere north of cardiff in a shooting club where i learnt quite a lot about range.
What is the preperation process of a rabbit?

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Prep for eating?

I usually gut it on the spot - leave the fur on to protect the meat, then skin at home or in camp.

It your not going to eat it for a day or two leave covered to stop flies and it will be fine.

One thing I find it the meat is nicer if you wait til rigamortise (spelling?) has been and gone.

As for skinning if you want the fur then skin as per any other mammal - if you dont want the fur just top and tail it.

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Jake Rollnick said:
I dont have a brilliant rifle. It is an edgar brothers mod .60. Very powerful (i think it has now becom illegal, about 13ft/lbs). I can certainly pick out small targets from a reasonable range, possibly a rabbit head 8/10 shots from 45/50 ft .
I went to a rifle shooting range somewhere north of cardiff in a shooting club where i learnt quite a lot about range.
What is the preperation process of a rabbit?
If it is 13ft/lbs you need a FAC for it 12 is the limit now if I remember right.
Cheers
David

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
If it is 13ft/lbs you need a FAC for it 12 is the limit now if I remember right.

Im not sure if i will bother as i am not 100% sure...when it was tested it was just about 12, and the club owner said they can increase in power when they are new. I also recently dry-shot it accidently, would that permenantly damage it?

Cheers,

Jake

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Jake Rollnick said:
I also recently dry-shot it accidently, would that permenantly damage it?

The odd dry shot is unlikley to knacker any air rifle if it is in otherwise good shape ...

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Jake Rollnick said:

Im not sure if i will bother as i am not 100% sure...when it was tested it was just about 12, and the club owner said they can increase in power when they are new. I also recently dry-shot it accidently, would that permenantly damage it?

Cheers,

Jake

A spring rifle may show a slight increase in power from new as things bed down but will loose power with age as the spring wears out.
While a single dry fire won't have done it any good it isn't likley to have done any serious damage maybe knocked a dozen or two shots off its overall life unless you've been really unlucky. The old BSA Cadet I had as a kid got dry fired loads of times but is still happily plinking away twentysome years and many thousands of rounds later!.
Cheers
David

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Far worse that the odd dry fire is dieseling that occurs when you over-oil the barrel and chamber and it ignites when you fire it ... :bu: ... that really damages the seals.

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Adi007 said:
Far worse that the odd dry fire is dieseling that occurs when you over-oil the barrel and chamber and it ignites when you fire it ... :bu: ... that really damages the seals.
Yeah,
But it produces enough smoke to impress a kid with an airgun :), Killed more than one cheap chinese rifle that way back in the 1980s!
David

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
I don't think it would do it any harm.
The best way i know of shooting bunnies is to sit still in the hedgerow.
Stalk in on your toes, so your heavy heal footfall doesn't echo through the warren. They usally scarper, but reappear after about ten minutes.
My friends nightsite is also rather effective.
Cheers
Rich

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE