Another nail in the coffin of freedom

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
What has that got to do with Game? :?:

Appereantly the EU has now passed a law (passed it last year but its now coming into effect) which stops butchers selling Rabbits and such with the fur on! :shock:

I can remember when I was a kid seeing rabbits hung in all the butchers shops - in fact quite often rabbit was all my mum could afford and she made a excellent rabbit stew.

Now rabbits cost a fortune and is pumped fully of water and chemicals like all the other meats sold in super markets :evil:

Health and safety appearently.
:roll:

What happened to choice?

Oh well guess I'll just have to rely on my trusty old air rifle - no E's in that meat - or U's for that matter.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Appereantly the EU has now passed a law (passed it last year but its now coming into effect) which stops butchers selling Rabbits and such with the fur on!
What is this world comming to...... give it a decade or two and you wont be able to buy meat with bones in .....

:-(
Ed

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Gross urbanization of our food industry ... :roll: Unless it's under cellophane it's not right.

Mar 2, 2004
c,mon now chaps ,didnt you know that meat is grown on trees out the back of sainsburys and tescos? that fish comes from big tanks out the back of fishmongers?and that vegetables come in big boxes from out the back of the green grocers?
ask some kids where it all comes from and they will tell you "the shops"

truth is ,,these laws come out the back of politicians!

its a poor outlook when people cannot kill their own food!
and make no mistake about it...someone has a vested interest in all this softening up of the populace.they are also trying to ban a lot of vitamins and minerals and reducing the amount and strength of others.

well said gary...soon we,ll all be wrapped up in cotton wool,wearing onepiece silver suits and our food will resemble large tubes of toothpaste.
and we,ll all be EASY TO CONTROL AS WE WILL ALL BE DEPENDANT ON A CONTROLING MINORITY.

when that happens i will be in the jungle far far away somewhere snaring rabbits ,fishing in the streans and lakes and growing my own.while this sinking apathetic middle class values society eats its chemical crap.

ps what model of rifle have you got?

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Gary said:
Oh well guess I'll just have to rely on my trusty old air rifle

Till they have them off of us too ... :roll:

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Its an under lever, a Wiehrauch 77k and I usually use superdome .22 pellets. Got a bushmaster scope on it too - Fantastic peice of kit, she always shoots straight too.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Gary said:
Its an under lever, a Wiehrauch 77k and I usually use superdome .22 pellets. Got a bushmaster scope on it too - Fantastic peice of kit, she always shoots straight too.
Nice rifle ... I have a silenced HW 95K also with a Bushmaster scope. I put domed Accupel pellets through mine and it's really accurate. Great bit of kit!

Mar 2, 2004
groovy.i started with a bsa superstar underlever.then progressed to a falcon fn 12,then 19. then i had my favorite hunting rifle which was a daystate huntsman.then when i started field target i had an rn 10 rated about 12ft pounds.i shot in the world championship last year with my m8s gun and came 37th.lol i couldnt see a thing with his scope setup and eye relief.
easier to shoot than slr,s lol
got a trophy for that too :-D

but for hunting purposes i favour the pneumatic toys. no recoil and silent,although id always go for at least .22 calibre. accupell dome heads used to be the top pellet but then airarms copied the shape and refined them i believe.

aaahh brings it all back to me now as i no longer have my firearms cert.
ever shoot air pistols like the nemesis?

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Here I must bow to your experience - I only ever use my rifle to harvest natures bounty and barring a diana .177 with a broken foresight which I swapped off a friend in school I never had another air pistol or rifle.

Seems to me if it aint broken dont fix it - besides I got to fire a few other bits and pieces in the army so i figure that'll do me.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Ahhh, a Diana .177 ... I started with one of them too!

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
They will only get away with it, if WE let them.

My ancestors lived of rabbit, it was the poor mans food.

EdS

Sorry guys but conny was originally rich mans food.

The Normans brought them over with them as the didn't like the local saxon offerings. Unfortunately the rabbits where used to warmer dry bits of France so they didn't dig suitable burrows.

As a result the Normans spent a fortune building warrens to keep them warm & dry- hence Conny... derived place names, and employed keepers to feed and look after them.

As teh fuedal system broke down the warrens where neglected and only those rabbits that had evolved & learnt to dig survived. These then didn't what rabbits are famous for.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Very true Eds - in fact the origin of the the name warren comes from the guys who kept the rabbit.

Although the romans also brought them into Britian too - so predated the normans how ever i think with the britons reviering the hare so much the romans probably try to bred them. Or more likely they shipped em in already dead.

But Jack is also right - rabbit was poor mans food for hundreds of years. So was song bird and so was Salmon!

Funny old world!

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Sad, but predictable.

Once upon a time, not so very long ago (as begins every episode of Bagpuss), butchers' shops used to sell rabbits with the fur, ducks with the feathers, and all sorts of stuff that the modern "shopper" and "consumer" doesn't know how to deal with.

I'm not old (yet), and I used to eat lots of rabbit that I would buy for £1 a head, with the fur on, in the Granger Market in Newcastle. The butcher would skin it for me there and then, if I wanted.

I also bought (once or twice) duck that I had to pull and pluck myself.

But the vast majority of people either don't want to do that sort of thing, can't be bothered to learn, or (to be blunt) can't be trusted to do it without poisoning themselves.

I enjoy the convenience of my butcher cutting up the meat from big animals for me (I don't want to keep a whole side of beef in my flat), but I wouldn't let him chop up a rabbit for my pot.

On the other hand, I'm quite happy for him to skin it and gut it for me (since I already spend about an hour and a half each night preparing the food, I don't have teh space to start tanning skins, and I think that rationally organised disposal of the wast through the butchers is more efficient than me throwing stuff in the bin...

KKK.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Good point Keith and I'm sure Ug moaned like made when the first dinosteak went under plastic - but the point is they are taking away the choice.

If you dont want it fine, if its to time consuming again fine - but at least let us choose!

Personally I wish I could get half a beef in the freezer - at least then I would know I'm not eating something pumped full of all sorts of junk just so it looks (what the miss informed masses believe to be) the right colour on the supermarket shelf.

I feel sorry for the future generations but then as they say ignorance is bliss!

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Yep,
It's only a couple of months ago that I saw an article in some international mag extolling the virtues of British food. It came complete with a piccie of Skidmores in Bakewell, pheasants, bunnies and various other things in fur and feather hanging up outside (it's where my fur on, dead less than 12 hours, bunnies come from now). Only problem is the local council stopped them hanging their wares outside years ago and you only get the rabbits if you know to ask. Oh, and my 4 year old daughter is an expert in supervising rabbit skining :-D
As for DIY, mine is a BSA Superstar!
Cheers
David

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
On the local radio today, a village near me has an annual fate and a Hog roast, this year some people are trying to get the hog roast banned as being barbaric. They are saying it an undignifed way of cooking.
It's a sad fact that todays society is so removed from where food is produced that they cannot understand it if it's not shrink wrapped or processed.

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Sell by dates and best before dates on bought foods drive me nuts. The dates are both ridiculously short (leading to wasted food and wasted money!) as well as being arbitrary (must food really be consumed before midnight on its use-by date?)

Also, culturally, we have lost the ability (and the knowledge) to judge when our food is still fit to eat and what to look for in 'off' food (for example things like putting eggs in water to see if they're still fresh) so it's safer to bin food that's past its date than it is to check it.

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Kath said:
Sell by dates and best before dates on bought foods drive me nuts. The dates are both ridiculously short (leading to wasted food and wasted money!) as well as being arbitrary (must food really be consumed before midnight on its use-by date?)

Also, culturally, we have lost the ability (and the knowledge) to judge when our food is still fit to eat and what to look for in 'off' food (for example things like putting eggs in water to see if they're still fresh) so it's safer to bin food that's past its date than it is to check it.
Sad but true, can't remember the last time I actuall looked at a sell by or use by and havn't managed to poison myself yet. A good look, smell and feel along with some basics like the eggs in water test, will tell you an awful lot about how fresh somthing is. (Didn't look like the 'Head Chef' on that Gordon Ramsey prog last night knew any of this though :rolmao: )
Trouble with supermarket produce is you don't know how long the food has been about for when you buy it. As I said elsewhere when I buy for example fresh wild rabbit the shopkeeper will be able to tell me roughly what time the noight before it breathed its last!
Cheers
David

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE