another fly fishing one

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
I use a braided learder loop as it means its very quick to change , this is very useful if the weather is very changing through the day as the fish will be feeding at diferent depths due to the amount of light breaking through the water. So I can go from fast sinking tip to a slow sinking tip in no time
It means that I have my line in the water for agreater amount of time thus increaseing my chances of catching more fish:)

I like them

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
Hi EdS,
braided leader is the way to go, use some cyanoacrylate ( supper glue ) and the sleeve to secure them to you fly line. I saw a large trout take fly, leader and braided leader only to leave the fisher with those words that we all know when we lose a fish... ;-)
jon

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
so the next question is - direct tie to fly line (plus a touch of glue) or via a loop like a grays loop or similar.

Doesnt need a loop Ed. Use a tapered leader. Most tapered leaders you buy will come with loop already on. [If not tie a perfection loop on the leader]
And dont bother with the super glue. Its not needed, and corrodes your fly line after a while.
Arbor Knot dacron/backing to Reel.
Nail knot, backing, [dacron,] to fly line.
3 turn Surgeons/water knot, to connect leader to tippet
Try and buy a braided leader loop with a coloured rubber tube. [red] [The bit that slips over the braided leader, and onto the fly line]
It works as a strike indicator when your nymphing.

http://www.ehow.com/video_2353452_fly-fishing-reels.html

These vids will tell you everything you need to know about knots.

A few lessons, casting etc, off a local guide would be money well spent.

Kilnsey crags, near burnsall are not far from you, and give lessons

Last edited:

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
i use a braided leader all the time, slips over the fly line and a dab of superglue smeared over the braid and then the stragly bits burnt of with a lighter ( do it fast so you don't melt the braid !! ) makes a very neat joint.

( and you're right, those clippy things for changing flys are awful !! )

tight lines matey

Robbi

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
i use a braided leader all the time, slips over the fly line and a dab of superglue smeared over the braid and then the stragly bits burnt of with a lighter ( do it fast so you don't melt the braid !! ) makes a very neat joint.

( and you're right, those clippy things for changing flys are awful !! )

tight lines matey

Robbi

I use to use Super glue myself. [Some do, some dont] But after a while it does corrode the fly line.
And a good fly line can easily set you back 50quid.
When you put your braided leader on. Try pulling hard.
Theres no way the braided leader will come off the fly line.
Unless its not been secured properly. [Or its crap]
And Id recommend using scissors to snip the straggly bits off...

Last edited:

lab72

Native
Apr 6, 2010
west oxfordshire
If you can attach a length a mono( say 2-3 pounds heavier than your tippet ) with a nail knot then put a loop in the end of said mono and attach your tippet hope that helps. Tight lines

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
tippet?

I guess it is a short length of line between leader and fly - what is best to use. The try outs I've done never had them.

Plan was: backing-fly line - braided leader butt - 9' leader. Now maybe add in tippet.

This is getting more and more complicated!

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
tippet?

I guess it is a short length of line between leader and fly - what is best to use. The try outs I've done never had them.

Plan was: backing-fly line - braided leader butt - 9' leader. Now maybe add in tippet.

This is getting more and more complicated!

Its not that complicated once you get a grasp of the basics.

It is however, very addictive.

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
addictive it is !!

simple mate........backing line, fly line, braided leader, then at least a rods length of leader ( in a stocked lake, try 4lb line )

go for it and tight lines matey !

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Horses for courses, mate! I wouldn't touch a braided leader as I don't trust them. I don't use loops either as they're conspicuous and clumsy.

Then again, maybe I'm just set in my ways of tried and trusted method. I attach 18 lb line with a nail knot to fly line and a grinner knot to attach the leader. The result is a strong and trustworthy graduating leader without conspicuous loops to cause unnecessary disturbance or tangles.

Much of my fishing time is spent observing, as I'm not so much concerned about fly in the water time as I am with putting the fly when and where fish are feeding.
I haven't gone hungry yet!

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
For speed and simplicity or for a mono cored fly line, even if you intend using a braided or furled leader, then they're ideal.

If you're after absolute delicacy of presentation or if you'd rather immerse yourself in a bit of fly fishing lore and regalia then a needle knot is definitely the way to go. If your fly line doesn't have a monofilament core as most of the glass/slimeline/transparent intermediate lines do then it allows for a smaller line to tippet join - these days the difference is pretty marginal tbh.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dave - got a cheap rod & reel, plud lines etc to play with. To be honest I've had a few goes on the drive to no success. I really need to get to some water - the pond on site has too many tree. Suppose I'll wander down to the river at some point - its just finding time and a spot that is not too overhung.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
To be honest I've had a few goes on the drive to no success.

Some of my biggest have come from road/grass fishing... you know the type, as they walk past they'll say "You won't catch much there, ho ho ho".

My usual reply is along the lines of... "You'd be surprised, you're the fourth I've had and I've only at it ten minutes!"

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I fish on most of the rivers near to you. If you get stuck, and want a few pointers, on the basics for an hour or two, drop me a PM.

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
get some cheapy tapered leaders try caimore from ebay. Tippet wise I find stroft or orvis super strong best, I attach my leader to fly line by splicing through and just using a good glue- but it has to be done right. Braided leader loops are ok but dont give the best presentation, which lets be honest is the holy grail.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE