Animals You would like to see in the wild

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Polar bears and Snow leopards have always fascinated me.
I saw two wolves in northern Norway once, I was thrilled (and at the time, knowing very little about the animals, a bit scared).
Later I was stunned to find that I had seen two of only 11 wolves that live in all Sweden and Norway :eek:

monkey_pork

Forager
May 19, 2005
Devonshire
Kinda sad I guess... but I'd just like to see more British wildlife around ... :(

If it's exotic's tho' - then it's the 'big' cat species for me, several species would do nicely in Europe (or are doing fine if the tales are true !).

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I would like to make time one summers evening and take a bottle of wine and go to a field with rabbits in and sit quietly in a corner and watch them playing for a couple of hours..................Jon

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Would love to see Grizzly bears,Wolves,Lynx in the wild.I would love to see a golden eagle in Scotland too.Its pretty sad that most of us/me included have ever seen a red Squizzer in Britain,damn greys are a pest :( Ive never seen a live badger either!

Topcat02

Settler
Aug 9, 2005
Dymock, Gloucestershire
Strange but for me I always check for the "Jenny" Wren, who flits about the garden most mornings, the Robin that follows me around when I'm doing the gardening, and will often sit within 2 feet of me.

We have Barn Owls, Screech & Tawny Owls, Nightjars, Woodpeckers galore, song thrushes, tits of all shapes and sizes, (favourite is bearded tits).

Basically its great to see how busy the creatures are, just getting on with their lives, and it is a privelege to observe them in their habitat.

Oh, and if were talking of bigger animals, then I'd love to dive with a Blue Whale, see a Giant Squid, and tag along with a tracker on the spoor of big game.

:)

2blackcat

Nomad
Nov 30, 2004
bromley
I'd like to see more of the native species .... even if it meant reintroduction of the likes of wolf and beaver

Then again, I'd like to see fewer people taking up more of the land so that it would reduce the pressure on wildlife and they could repopulate without our interferance

Then again again, how would we get rid of the grey squirrel, mink and red claw crayfish?

Ever the dreamer. Ho hum

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Arctic hobo

There are a lot more than 11 wolves in Norway and Sweden now. Some scientists say that seems to have been a migration from Siberia. Stupid farmers want to wipe them out again though.

I would like to see wolf, bear, lynx, polar fox and wolverine. I would like to see woodland reindeer, wild boar and sabel (martes zeblina) reintroduced to to Norway. If they exist I would like to see mammoth and yeti/alma.

The evenk say they hunted mammoth until the early 1900s. :D

Torjus Gaaren

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
torjusg said:
Arctic hobo.

The evenk say they hunted mammoth until the early 1900s. :D

Torjus Gaaren

Too many of those "red-capped" 'shrooms me thinks ;)

Still, more believable than pink elephants...Don't see many of them in the wild ;)

My first reaction was - I want to see more native fauna and less introduced stuff.

But then I started thinking about just what that means, and quick bit of research shows that :-

Dog, Sheep, Goat, Ox, Pig, Orkney Vole, Horse, Harvest Mouse, Scilly Shrew, House Mouse, Cat, Brown Hare, Black Rat, Fallow Deer, Rabbit, Brown Rat, Sika, Grey Squirrel, Edible Dormouse, Chinese Muntjac, Chinese Water Deer, American Mink, and many many more are in fact non native!

But that aside I would love to see:-
Reindeer, Wolverine, Elk, Auroch, Lynx, Brown bear, Beaver, Wild boar, & Wolf back in Britian

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
There are a few animals i would like to see in the wild .
Warthog (my namesake) .
Otter
Wolf
Bear (all kinds)
Big cats
Dragons (bearded and Komono)
Crocodile and Aligator
Shark

I would like to be able to watch the above going about their daily business , including lunching !!

Pumbaa

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Platypus said:
Dog, Sheep, Goat, Ox, Pig, Orkney Vole, Horse, Harvest Mouse, Scilly Shrew, House Mouse, Cat, Brown Hare, Black Rat, Fallow Deer, Rabbit, Brown Rat, Sika, Grey Squirrel, Edible Dormouse, Chinese Muntjac, Chinese Water Deer, American Mink, and many many more are in fact non native!

I suppose we could add Humans to that list too ;)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I guess I'd be pretty impressed if I saw Nessie close enough for a good picture. ;)

Seriously though, my list is getting shorter as life goes on. This year I have seen otters at the last Scottish meet up, and wild reindeer & sea eagles in Northern Norway.

Live with your senses and you will experience the universe.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Since we have started with recently extinct animals, I would also like to see european bison, tarpan (a european wild horse) back in the woods of Western Europe. Lion and leopard back in the mediterranean region. And sturgeon and salmon back in all the big rivers of Europe. Just to mention some of the destruction that civilization has done to our continent. :(

Torjus Gaaren

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
stovie said:
Too many of those "red-capped" 'shrooms me thinks ;)

Still, more believable than pink elephants...Don't see many of them in the wild ;)

Wrangel Island in the Siberian arctic had mammoths living there dated in carbon years as being no older than 3,700 - 7,000 years ago i.e. human civilisation was already in full swing! :eek: :)

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Slightly off topic but some First Nations in North America do in fact have verbaly transmitted stories of activly hunting mammoth as late as the 1900 century. The stories passed down are very exact and correct in every aspect of tactics, anatomy, skinning, butchering, use of, cooking etc... These stories vary slightly from regional tribe location in as far as the exact method of the culling (using a jump, using an enclosure etc... but they do follow known hunting methods recorded by paleo scientists. This from non formaly (university) trained peoples. Pretty wicked huh? CG :yo:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE