Animals You would like to see in the wild

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-1

I was thinking about animals with a mind to tracking and started doing some research on ones that made me curious, ones which I would like to track and this one caught my eye.

"The Wolverine is a tremendous character…. a personality of unmeasured force, courage, and achievement so enveloped in a mist of legend, superstition, idolatry, fear, and hatred, that one scarcely knows how to begin or what to accept as fact. Picture a Weasel—and most of us can do that, for we have met that little demon of destruction, that small atom of insensate courage, that symbol of slaughter, sleeplessness, and tireless, incredible activity—picture that scrap of demoniac fury, multiply that mite some fifty times, and you have the likeness of a Wolverine."

--Ernest Thompson Seton, 1953

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Plus it has adamantine claws, sideburns, and smokes a cigar... ;)

I'd really like to see a Scottish wildcat out there, but there isn't much chance of that...

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
My wish would be to observe a wolf pack in the wild - Bushcraft my way following them for a season.

leon-1

Marts I have seen wolves in the wild, but only solitary, in Canada. A pack would be nice to observe.

gregorach, someone posted on here to do with the Scottish wildcat, was it you??

If not try doing a search I remember there being a few suggestions about where and who to speak to.:)

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
wolves and wolverines i would love to see both. I'd quite like to go and see condors in there natural habitat and Lammergeyer ( Bearded Vulture) breaking bones by droping them to get at the marrow

James

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
jdlenton said:
wolves and wolverines i would love to see both. I'd quite like to go and see condors in there natural habitat and Lammergeyer ( Bearded Vulture) breaking bones by droping them to get at the marrow

James

I had a chance encounter with a Wolverine. I wouldn't want one to turn on me. They are without a doubt the angriest animal on the planet and are totally fearless. Nothing in the wild will mess with one.

Wolves are very cool, but I've not had the opportunity to track wild wolves. However, while in Idaho I helped a neighbor of a friend track one of his, that had gotten out of the protective enclosure on his property. He found us first. :D

The Condor has been reintroduced here on the California coast and the wife and I happened to see several resting below us on a ledge that was overlooking the ocean. The following day, while on my own, 3 passed overhead.

I've often wanted to track a Grizzly. I've found their tracks and scat while up north, but better judgement took hold. ;)

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
I'd love there to be several monkey species wild in the UK... maybe somewhere like Epping Forest or the New Forest. Be just like camping in Longleat safari park :)

Only heard wolf in Canada, always been fascinated by them so would be great to see them back in the UK, subject to them being protected from people. Same goes for bear and elk too.

Maybe some really colourful bird species too? Macaws or something similar.

Actually a better thing would just be a greater abundance of our own native wildlife...

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
These: (courtesy of Amon ...)

Moooooooooooooooooooose
moosquirrel.jpg

Baaterfly

baaterfly.jpg

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
Well, they will have to come to me. So far, I have seen deer in the street in front of my house and deer in the woods behind our house (seen from the window). A little further away, within a mile, I have seen foxes (two at once at that), groundhogs, various owls, and beaver ponds. I have not actually seen the beaver but merely their signs. I have seen live beaver elsewhere. Within a one hundred mile radius from home I have also seen black bears.

I have not seen lions, wolves, coyotes, or elk, though all of those are elsewhere in the state (Virginia) except for wolves.

In other places in the country I have seen antelope and buffalo in the wild and the buffalo (this is bison I am referring to) up close, plus armadillo.

I have not seen brown bear, wild goats, wild sheep, or wild horses or burros, though I have seen semi-wild horses, if you could call them that.

I'm probably leaving out a lot.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Get yourself up to Skye, or Kyle of Lochalsh - there's quite a number of otters up there.

Thinking about this thread, I've actually done darn well - I've seen golden eagles and sea otters in the UK, and all sorts of wierd beasties in Tassie, including echinda and platypuss (although I didn't get a good view of the platypuss, just its wake). Very few people have seen the platypuss in the wild. :)

Another species that's just occured to me that would be great to see is the pudu. They're just the cutest little things ever. :)

Polestar

Tenderfoot
Oct 7, 2005
Lewes
Would love to see a Polar Bear in the wild - magnificent. Have seen Brown (Grizzley) and Black bears in Alaska (didn't see the adult and cub that walked within 3' of our tent ... only their tracks in the sand when we woke up), and a freshly killed Polar being skinned up at Barrow Point ... absolutely enormous. (Amazing what the women do with an ulu).

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
Hi all,

Here's my wishlist of some bizarre looking animals I would like to encounter in the wild, lots of "specialties":

Pyrenean desman (that's the critter in my avatar)
Naked molerat (the ugliest beast on/under the surface of this planet)
Any of the spectacular bird of paradise species (especially after seeing the documentary "Attenborough in paradise", some species in display become pieces of abstract art) :eek:
Iberian lynx (before it's gone...) :(
Pangolin (looks like a pine cone with a tail)
Aardvark (this started with the fantastic cartoons on tv)
Tristan (or Gough) Moorhen (looks exactly like a common moorhen, but seeing it would mean I was on the island of Tristan da Cunha, and that's a dream since childhood...) :cool:

and that's just a summary....

Tom

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Doesn't seem like a very bushcrafty answer or choice, but I'd love to observe Tigers in the wild, in particular hunting (preferably not me though). Have always had a fixation with them ever since my Grandad first read the jungle book to me when i was a kid.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
andyn said:
Doesn't seem like a very bushcrafty answer or choice, but I'd love to observe Tigers in the wild, in particular hunting (preferably not me though). Have always had a fixation with them ever since my Grandad first read the jungle book to me when i was a kid.

I spent 16 hours in a 4x4 in India, many years ago, in a reserve looking for Tigers...saw a few prints and a bit of poo....that was it! Still, I got them to let me drive and had fun showing them what a 4x4 could really do! lol :lmao:

I'd like to see Rhino, Hippo, Elephant, Grizzly Bear, Wolves, Wolverines, Lions and Tigers released onmass in Central London....oh and not forgetting sharks, Aligators, Crocs and Pirahna in the Thames! lol Oh what a day that would be! :beerchug: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Bam. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE