An entirely new knife.............

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
I'm trying to do somthing similar to the EKA style knives, with a groove cut into the handle material so that the tang is 2/3's of the thickness of the handle. The idea is that i still have the strength of a full tang but with the comfort of a pukko. The blade is epoxied into the handle then pinned (hencehow i split the handle, i hadn't cut the groove quite thick enough to accept blade, epoxy and liners, one tap too many with the hammer :( ) Should be finished next week so will post up some pics.
Really lookingforward to seeing yours though.
Baggins

stuart m

Nomad
May 18, 2006
Sheffield
www.stuartmitchellknives.com
baggins said:
I'm trying to do somthing similar to the EKA style knives, with a groove cut into the handle material so that the tang is 2/3's of the thickness of the handle. The idea is that i still have the strength of a full tang but with the comfort of a pukko. The blade is epoxied into the handle then pinned (hencehow i split the handle, i hadn't cut the groove quite thick enough to accept blade, epoxy and liners, one tap too many with the hammer :( ) Should be finished next week so will post up some pics.
Really lookingforward to seeing yours though.
Baggins
I see... Good luck with that... I look forward to the photies :)

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
I've seen pictures in old books of knife grinders lying on their front side with arms outstretched over big wheels, maybe bigger that that. They seemed to have a lot more water on them. I just got a 16 inch wheel 4 inches thick that i'm planning to build up into a wet grinder. I thought it was big when I ordered it. :(

stuart m

Nomad
May 18, 2006
Sheffield
Back from ht and ground to the precise 3mm required... The flats ahve been finished and the grinding of the bevels will begin tomorrow (depending on my hangover ;) )

DSCN3458.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Now thats looking summat like stu...lovely work.

I spent a couple of hours mowing the grass!

Actually I then made a "Man size" cottage pie, and the bluest steak in the world for BB (who broke a finger this week and hence has a "sore paw")

Thinly sliced about 5lb of beef for jerky (marinading right now in chilli, garlic and soy)

Looks like you had the more productive day though...can't wait to see her with bevels!

Red

stuart m

Nomad
May 18, 2006
Sheffield
British Red said:
Now thats looking summat like stu...lovely work.

I spent a couple of hours mowing the grass!

Actually I then made a "Man size" cottage pie, and the bluest steak in the world for BB (who broke a finger this week and hence has a "sore paw")

Thinly sliced about 5lb of beef for jerky (marinading right now in chilli, garlic and soy)

Looks like you had the more productive day though...can't wait to see her with bevels!

Red
JERKY!

Should I send you my address?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just a Tchibo cheapy Phil.

It was a present from BB (bless her) because I was moaning about not having an Aga to make jerky in any more so she ordered me a 5 tray dehydrator for jerky and drying chillis, tomatoes and herbs

A great bit of kit!

I far prefer home made Jerky to "shop bought" - much cheaper too

Just took some of the thinner slices out (top tray of mushrooms and chillis for trail use is still drying plus about the same volume again of Jerky which was slightly thicker)

Hopefully this will get your taste buds going ;)

448968029_fe8a3e178d.jpg

Red

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
There's a guy at work that makes deer jerky, looks just like that and the best I ever tasted. Knowing you so well, I'll bet yours tastes much better. I promised myself an Excalibur for Christmas.

linky

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thats a monster of a dehydrator there weaver - good looking bit of kit too!

I'm sure my jerky is nothing special - to me theres only four things involved:

1. Cut across the "grain" of the meat
2. Use good, lean cuts of quality meat (venison does make superb jerky)
3. Don't rush the marinading and use quality ingredients
4. Use a sharp knife and slice it thin

No real mystery to it - still I have wrapped a few ounces up to post of to stu and Mrs stu so we will see what he thinks next week when it turns up!

Red

stuart m

Nomad
May 18, 2006
Sheffield
I know that Red is keen to compile as much information as possible throughout the build of his new, perfect, knife...

Here a few heat treatment specs relating to his O1 blade....

It was pre-heated to around 450 deg C in a dry pre-heat...

Transferred to the salt bath which is heated to 840 deg C, the blade is taken to the temp of the salt and "soaked" for about 20 minutes...

Quenched in oil...

Tempered in air at 250 deg C for 1 hour...

Tempered once more in air, a stress relief temper, but this time at 100 deg C for a further 1 hour...

Once air cooled to room temperature, we have Rc59.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE