Amsteel workshop

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I've pulled this out of the list so people are aware they need to bring Amsteel.

For the whoppie slings, soft shackles and continus loops from Amsteel people will need to bring their own amsteel and resnikov (James) will bring the info, skills and tools :D If you're itnerested please list your name so he knows where he's at. goodjob

I'm interested in doing this workshop, where's a good place to pick it up? I've seen 12foot lengths on ebay for £25, does that sounds right or is there somewhere else better? Amsteel lengths on ebay here

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Think I'll have to do this too. Got the Amsteel from group buy, but no idea what to do with it!

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Aladdin's Cave Rigging has the Dyneema D12 2.5mm line in for £1.25 per metre. That seems like a good price to me.
As far as I can make out, Amsteel Blue is the same stuff as Dyneema. Dyneema being the german manufacturer and Amsteel being a brand name for it.

It has a breaking strain of 569kg. I weigh 15st = 95kg. Yea, that should be plenty strong!

Eric

Last edited:

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Aladdin's Cave Rigging has the Dyneema D12 2.5mm line in for £1.25 per metre. That seems like a good price to me.
As far as I can make out, Amsteel Blue is the same stuff as Dyneema. Dyneema being the german manufacturer and Amsteel being a brand name for it.

It has a breaking strain of 569kg. I weigh 15st = 95kg. Yea, that should be plenty strong!

Eric

http://www.ropelocker.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=20

This is the cheapest I've found in the UK £1.01 per metre (2.5mm) - perhaps they may do a discount for a moot group buy?

This is also D12

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes

Someone like TeePee will probably be along with the maths but sometimes folks forget they are not actually hanging vertically on the end but with the rope at around 30 degrees which increases the acting load somewhat and will have some form of knots/splices/bends that will derate the line. Having said that I ~think~ you are correct! :hammock:

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
To clear things up for people about Amsteel Blue/ Dyneema:

Amsteel blue, Marlow D12, and English braids Dynamic line are made from pure, braided Dyneema fibres. The type of dyneema these are made from is called SK75. SK78, SK70, SK80 are also available but are not useful for our puproses.

Dyneema is a brand name for Ultra High Molecular Weight PolyEthylene, licensed for manufacture by DSM in Holland. Spectra is alomost identical to Dyneema, being made from UHMWPE too and is licensed by Honeywell in the states. It comes in fibre form or solid material, and can be machined

The awesome strength comes from the length of the polymer chains which number in the millions of molecules long, as opposed to thousands in PolyEthylene bottles. UHMWPE is much stronger than carbon steel and also much more abrasion resistant but is much less dense. Its used in hip replacements, Arboriculture, marine racing, Hammock suspension, bullet-proof vests, industry and is used to line the bottom of aggregate trucks to stop the steel wearing away.

Marlow D12 and Amsteel blue are almost identical, Amsteel being slightly stronger.

English Braids in 2mm is a bit different though (the other sizes of Dymaic line are equal to Amsteel blue). The 2mm size starts life as around 3mm and is then pre-stretched in the factory to bring it down to 2mm diameter. This process keeps the breaking strength of the 3mm line, but reduces stretch further and creep is reduced too. As it starts life as 3mm line, the braid opens up wider and its easier to pull splices through the hollow centre.

I've got whoopies made from all 3 types, the EB dynamic line is the best by far and also much stronger than Amsteel blue in the smallest size, rated at 920kg for 2mm. The extra strength is not usually needed for stringing hammocks up (But liked)and all these lines are great for whoopie slings etc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE