Alternative to axminster

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

daved

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
London
Not sure if this should be in the resources section but here goes...

I was looking for a alternative source of waterstones to axminster due to P&P charges and came across the following:

http://www.shokunin.co.uk/shokunin.htm

Does anyone have any experience of them? They seem to have a large selection of stones in different sizes and grades and by different manufacturers. I think the combination stones are the same make as Axminster. They are slightly more expensive but work out cheaper as postage is included.

They also have small sized stones that might be good for use in the field as an alternative to trying to cut up bench stones (I know that idea has caused some debate)

Other than them, Axminster seem the cheapest - anybody know of any other alternatives?

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I haven't used them before but just had a look at the site - couldn't get it to work in Firefox, but it seems OK in IE.

Anyway, it looks like p&p is included in the prices, minimum order £10. Would seem reasonable, but I've got to say I've had first class service from Axminster.

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
seems like a very very good site for waterstones....

....and especially for very fine grade polishing powders, used for japanese sword polishing.

i think some of the BB lot are sure to like it.

ooh they got choji (camelia) oil too - now theres a very fine & 'expensive' (but natural) oil for preserving your blades.

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
That's where i got my waterstones from a couple of years ago. Excellent stones - got the 8000 and a combination stone. Hmmm, polish....
I couldn't for the life of me remember the name of the site, so i am glad someone else found it.... :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE