Aladdin lamps

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Recently got into Aladdin mantle oil lamps and well impressed with the light output! They are stated as about 40 watt equivalent light output and this about right for a well set up lamp, maybe a bit less but near enough.

So far I have just the one no. 23 lamp with a nice red shade. Running there is zero smell unlike my wick lamps which is great.

The only thing not great is the cost of replacement mantles at around £15 each. If your careful they last a while but are so fragile. Tonight I tried converting a mantle from a pressure lamp-in this case a Tilley Happy mantle to work on the Aladdin.

This first version required snipping both tied ends and tying one end to an old Loxon mantle holder and the other end installing a metal ring that gets tied with wire to the top of the support frame. Well I can report this mantle fettle does work and it gives about 25 equivalent Watts of light. This is because on initial burning off it didn't form as expected to the optimum shape of the original Loxon mantle.

I think incorporating some permanent wire under the mantle in the original shape may produce a better shape or even make a solid former out of wood to help shape it during initial burn off and then remove the former in use?

At least the concept of DIY Loxon mantles works and potentially for about a quid a pop!

26f26ad64def16452afc68f8e3b76ba3_zps48fc0bb7.jpg

d699c060826e3a69d759a70c21e5ae1c_zps9bfcb16c.jpg

648d096d14e2a558569cb70bea3173db_zps76832c28.jpg

Last edited:

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Thats a good idea.. I use aladdin lamps and the cost of mantles is an issue..ill give this a go

MAybe a spiral of wire formed round a wood mandrel would give a good form/shape..

Last edited:

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I too thought of a spiral frame and if there is no issue with the wire touching the inside of the mantle, would probably be the best option. Plus it would be reusable and would support the mantle very well?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE