Adders

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-1

Well it can't be due to the weather if they are declining, they are quite climatically adaptable and one of the first emerging reptiles after winter. Likewise heat wouldn't be a problem for them as it just means that they would be more active.

The loss of habitat or prey could on the other hand have a considerable effect on them.

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
Spacemonkey said:
Great link, not sure which ones I have spotted as they seem diffeent colours-darker choccy brown.

Spacemonkey,

Do you know what the locals call those snakes? If you have a spanish (or catalonian) name you might be able to find the corresponding species on the internet. (adder is "vibora" in spanish, as you undoubtly already know))

As I had never seen an adder before I went looking for them this august in a boggy swamp in the north of Holland (Fochteloerveen). The place is known for it's healthy adder population and the weather was excellent for snake spotting (sunny morning after a cold night, so all the reptiles get out to get a suntan) but al I saw was viviparous lizards, frogs & smooth snakes. Not a single adder. According to the information in the visitor's centre the smooth snake population was ten times smaller than that of the adders in the area!
Although I did't spot an adder, it was a nice walk anyway in a stunning environment and I was happy to see a crane flying by (this is the only place in Holland where they nest since a few years after being absent as a breeding bird for centuries). Well enough reasons to go back there some time, looking for the elusive adder...

PS Oh, and I won't call you moonraker again... :cool:

Dunelm

Forager
May 24, 2005
County Durham
I've only seen one adder and that was in Hamsterley Forest (west Durham) like JoshG, but that was years ago. Not very comon in the north of England at all - I've walked all over the North Pennines, North Yorks Moors and Lakeland and never seen one since.

There seem to be plenty of common lizards about - there's a small colony in the juniper forest on the south side of High Force waterfall - which would suggest adders as well. Maybe they're there and I'm not seeing them.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Looked after someone once who'd been bitten by an adder, (roughty one a year in scotland.) Pretty poorly for a while, but never in danger. pinpricks about 1cm apart on one finger, but the whole arm to the shoulder became reddened and bruised easily.

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
Got a strange look off her indoors and a "why do you want to watch a 10 minute program about poisonus snakes , your not having one !!!"
But i will watch it anyway !! :lmao:
Pumbaa

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
I must be bucking the trend here. I've seen quite a few Adders this year!?! ...... Maybe I've just been out and about more this year!

For those people in Scotland who have never seen an Adder before all I can say is walk along this path outside Ballater on a sunny morning and you'll see loads (nice patch of woodland there too)! I saw about 6 in one day ......... one was in the process of eating a bird! Quite large too, I reckon almost a meter in length. I found a fantastic whole shed skin on Mull too near Loch Ba. In this area look to the skies as well ....... plenty of Sea Eagles frequent the loch.

I've been told that one of the best places to see reptiles is Studland Heath in Dorset anyone been? ....... I hear you get all 6 of the UKs reptiles there?

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Beer Monster..........I'm glad you have found quite a few this year, perhaps ours down in the south have moved north. You say 6 species in the UK, but did you know that on the channel islands you can find wall lizards and that you can terrapins here too look here http://www.uksafari.com/terrapins.htm
Cheers.............Jon

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Jon Pickett said:
Beer Monster..........I'm glad you have found quite a few this year, perhaps ours down in the south have moved north. You say 6 species in the UK, but did you know that on the channel islands you can find wall lizards and that you can terrapins here too look here http://www.uksafari.com/terrapins.htm
Cheers.............Jon

Yep, seen a few of Terrapins around my sister’s house in Winchester. I should have said 6 native species! I've also seen wall lizards in Bournemouth (I think there are a few colonies in London too).

Of the UK species I've never seen a Smooth Snake or a Sand Lizard (in this country at least), however, I'm thinking of heading across to the island of Coll on the west coast of Scotland which has a small colony of Sand Lizards next summer so I might have a chance of spotting one then.

Reptiles have always held a fascination for me, ever since I found a Slow Worm in a dry stone wall at the bottom of Ben Nevis many moons ago aged about 6! I've added a couple of books to the ID thread that you may find a good read, if you haven't got them already! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE