A review of three multifuel stoves

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Roefisher

Forager
Oct 15, 2005
The Roe Valley
I originally posted this over on British Blades recently but thought that I’d give it an airing here, too. Hopefully it can be useful to anyone considering a multifuel stove.

One of the most appealing and enjoyable things for me about taking a stroll outdoors is that when I find a lovely spot to stop for a while I can have a coffee or make something to eat. Liking stoves too, I thought that I’d take the camera out with me and show you the three most popular multifuel ones in action. I have also written up some details such as weight and individual features. The models I’ve reviewed here are the MSR Dragonfly, Primus Omnifuel and Optimus Nova+.

To use these multifuel stoves,
Before doing anything make sure that the jet (this is just a wee nut or screw with a variable size hole in it where the fuel comes through on the main stove body) is the proper one to suit whatever fuel you’re going to use. All the jets are stamped if you’re uncertain from just looking at the jet hole size.
After assembling and pressurising the bottle with the pump, open the fuel flow and allow some liquid run along into the stove. It depends on model but some have a little tray like the Dragonfly and others have a soak pad like the Omnifuel and Nova+. Once you’ve done this close the flow off again and light this small amount. It will burn with a fairly large yellow flame. Now you wait till that is nearly burnt away before gently open the flow value again until the main blue coloured flame starts. This is your stove running.
The only different starting operation to the above is the Omnifuel when you’re going to run her from a gas canister. What a brilliant feature this is - liquid fuel bottles and gas canisters all with the one stove. It could not be simpler changing from bottles to the gas canister or vice versa. You just switch the jets and off you go - that’s all there is to it. The basics of operating the gas canister is even more handier than the liquid. Simply turn on the fuel flow and immediately light the stove. To stop the flame just close the valve.

The method of stopping a liquid fed stove is to halt the fuel flow from the bottle and various models do this differently. With the Dragonfly you close off the bottle fuel flow valve and this leads to a very small flame which will burn for approximately another minute while the fuel pipe empties. With the Omnifuel and Nova you simply flip the bottle upside down. Once again, this is stopping the fuel flow from the bottle and it runs with a very small flame for around one minute while the fuel pipe empties before closing the valves.

The MSR Dragonfly facts
1. It weighs 11¾ oz without the pump and 14 oz with it.
2. The 650ml bottle weighs 5½ oz empty and is 1 lb 5 oz full. The 975ml bottle weighs 7 oz empty and is 1 lb 14 oz full.
3. It brings the ½ litre of water in my kettle to the whistle in 3 minutes and 5 seconds.
4. No fuel bottle is included when you buy it.
5. It comes with a written instruction manual, carry case, windshield, another jet and a service pack.
6. It’s the loudest by far.
7. Self-Cleaning Shaker Jet where you are clean out jet with a flick of the wrist.
8. Wide but smooth finished burner arms which are less secure.

The MSR Dragonfly pics
1. Fully built up
100_1213.jpg

2. Folded up in hand
100_1198.jpg

3. Pouch and accessories
100_1233.jpg

4. Close up of various stove parts
A. How the fuel line attaches to the pump (3 pictures) The fuel pipe ends in a tubular brass rod which slides into the pump and is then held in place with a swing clip
100_1236.jpg

100_1202.jpg

100_1206.jpg

B. The pump fuel flow valve
100_1208.jpg

C. The burner cup, where the preheating fuel is lit to start the stove with the brass jet centre
100_1212.jpg

D. The simmering valve
100_1217.jpg

5. The first preheat stage with yellow flame
100_1221.jpg

6. The proper blue coloured flame after priming
100_1222.jpg

7. Finally in action boiling a kettle
100_1227.jpg

The Optimus Nova+ facts
1. It weighs 10¾ oz without the pump and 14¾ oz with it.
2. It brings the ½ litre of water in my kettle to the whistle in 3 minutes and 2 seconds.
3. The 450ml bottle weighs 4 oz empty and is 1 lb 1 oz full.
4. It comes with a written instruction manual, carry case, windshield and a service pack. No other jets are necessary as the Nova+ has the ability to burn multiple fuels with the same fuel jet.
5. Serrated burner arms to give safe and secure holding.
6. Magnetic cleaning needle which gives a jet clean when the multitool is moved around close to the stove cup base.
7. The simmering valve is a patented system called the Powerline. It is a knob on the fuel pipe itself down at the bottle.

The Optimus Nova+ pics
1. Fully built up with bottle
100_1363.jpg

2. Folded up in hand
100_1311.jpg

3. Pouch and accessories
100_1317.jpg

4. Close up of various stove parts
A. How the fuel line attaches to the pump (3 pictures) With this stove the fuel pipe ends in a brass male quick connector fitting which snaps into the steel and brass female connector on the pump. To release, simply push the knurled sleeve straight back towards the pump
100_1323.jpg

100_1318.jpg

100_1331.jpg

B. The soak pad where the preheating fuel is lit to start the stove with the brass jet centre
100_1366.jpg

C. The simmering valve knob
100_1335.jpg

5. The first preheat stage with yellow flame
100_1338.jpg

6. The proper blue coloured flame after priming
100_1347.jpg

7. Finally in action boiling a kettle
100_1348.jpg

Please see the next post for my Omnifuel review and overall thoughts.

Reactions: British Red

Roefisher

Forager
Oct 15, 2005
The Roe Valley
The Primus Omnifuel facts
1. It weighs 8¾ oz without the pump and 15¾ oz with it.
2. The 600ml bottle weighs 4 oz empty and is 1 lb 1½ oz full.
3. It brings the ½ litre of water in my kettle to the whistle in 2 minutes and 56 seconds.
4 . It comes with a written instruction manual, an instruction DVD, carry case, windshield, two other jets and a service pack.
5. It can run on both liquid bottles and gas canisters.
6. Serrated burner arms to give safe and secure holding.
7. The simmering valve is a knob on the pump. This is used to control both the bottle and gas canister flows.

The Primus Omnifuel pics
1. Fully assembled with fuel bottle
100_1279.jpg

2. Fully assembled with a gas canister
100_1275.jpg

3. Folded up in hand
100_1284.jpg

4. Pouch and accessories
100_1249.jpg

5. Close up of various stove parts
A. How the fuel line attaches to the pump (3 pictures) The fuel pipe screws into the pump with a hand nut
100_1239.jpg

100_1243.jpg

100_1252.jpg

B. The soak pad where the preheating fuel is lit to start the stove with the brass jet centre
100_1270.jpg

C. The simmering valve
100_1269.jpg

6. The first preheat stage with yellow flame
100_1257.jpg

7. The proper blue coloured flame after priming
100_1259.jpg

8. Finally in action boiling a kettle
100_1262.jpg

To pick one I’d first of all have to say that the Dragonfly is definitely the least of the three. It has the poorest build quality and when purchased new it doesn’t even include a fuel bottle. The various parts are flimsier built or just plastic. However that is not to say that it is a bad stove. It is well enough thought out and has a great heat range from light simmering to a powerful flame with it’s patented CoolFuel™ valve. Problems arise for the Dragonfly when compared directly to the other two here which are just on a higher level. The Omnifuel and the Nova+ are equally as good to my eye. They’ve similar high quality fittings and ease of use. I especially like the simmering control away from the pot. In an example where something is boiling over you wouldn’t want to be reaching under that pot to adjust the flame down a bit but that’s exactly what you’d have to do with the Dragonfly. With the Omnifuel it’s on the pump and on the Nova+ it’s at the hose end up beside the pump and both still give rapid adjustment to the flame. But despite having a preference for the good looks for the Nova+ I ever so slightly prefer the Omnifuel overall because of the gas canister option along with an equally good performance.

Mark

David Morgan

Tenderfoot
Sep 18, 2004
Buckinghamshire
Thanks, I've been looking at the options for a camp stove and that's a pretty comprehensive review. A couple of questions; how do the three compare on price, and what's their typical 'mpg'; how many kettle boilings will each run for on a full tank? Is there much difference on that score?

Good review!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
A great review Mark - you have rep!

I know how much time it takes to write reviews and articles like this so thank you for making the effort - very, very helpful

Red

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Good reviews, and I see another stove collector in the making ;)

I don't like the MSR stoves, as you said they are not as well made as the Swedish stoves (the service kits are BIG, that should tell you something). The soak pads in the Nova and Omnifuel go quickly, but they are not essential in lighting meths, so I've never replaced any in my stoves. You should also find the Nova more frugal when you burn kerosene.

Now, next on your stove list should be:
Optimus 111, either the model B (petrol) T (kerosene) or the multifuel silent burners (they can burn meths as well) :)

This is a good buy
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Benzinkocher-...oryZ8504QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The guy won't take paypal, but I've bought a few of these stoves in the past and sent cash in euro's without problem. The stove is a Russian clone of the Optimus 8r and is a cracking bit of kit. The seller will give (or did to me anyway) discount if you buy 3 or more if anyone fancies organising a group buy

Once again, great reviews, stunning photo's well done mate

W

woodlanduk

hello guys,
OK let me start by saying ive had the PRIMUS Omnifuel now for a whole year and have run it on the 3 main fuels that are easy to come by on any UK road .
For summer and general use i use LPG normally a coleman 500 can
as for the 2 main liquid fuels i buy that by the Gallon in any petrol station around the country DIESEL and PETROL
heres the first service ive done in a Whole year of abuse this little baby has got
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-hlttm32O0
i thought a video would be better than just photos, and feel free to comment either on here or the you tube page. but it runs like a dream even in adverse weather which lately seems the norm ...goodjob

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
hello guys,
OK let me start by saying ive had the PRIMUS Omnifuel now for a whole year and have run it on the 3 main fuels that are easy to come by on any UK road .
For summer and general use i use LPG normally a coleman 500 can
as for the 2 main liquid fuels i buy that by the Gallon in any petrol station around the country DIESEL and PETROL
heres the first service ive done in a Whole year of abuse this little baby has got
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-hlttm32O0
i thought a video would be better than just photos, and feel free to comment either on here or the you tube page. but it runs like a dream even in adverse weather which lately seems the norm ...goodjob

Good review, have Primus stopped giving a service kit with the stove then? Both mine came with kits:confused:

I won't use petrol, its a dirty fuel and the additives don't help the stove or your lungs should you breath them in. Diesel? Yep it works but again its dirty fuel; so I'll only use panel wipe/Aspet 4T/paraffin in mine. That said I will use diesel in a No12 stove as they are designed to run the stuff.

Great stove and good review.

W

woodlanduk

Good review, have Primus stopped giving a service kit with the stove then? Both mine came with kits:confused:

I won't use petrol, its a dirty fuel and the additives don't help the stove or your lungs should you breath them in. Diesel? Yep it works but again its dirty fuel; so I'll only use panel wipe/Aspet 4T/paraffin in mine. That said I will use diesel in a No12 stove as they are designed to run the stuff.

Great stove and good review.

no service kit of any kind came with the stove just a tube of silicon gel and the 3 jets with the poor excuse for a multitool the rest has to cone via the Internet as no one single supplier sells the spares seperately without charging the earth it would be easier to buy a second hand stove and strip it for the parts or do as i did and buy what you need and get E clips and o rings from Screwfix or sim supplier

W

woodlanduk

Great stuff and just what I needed. A month ago!

Cheers

Funny that .........i looked on all the video sites and low and behold sweet FA so i put a basic video together to show the contents of the kit from RVOps but there is another kit for the pump componants with a single primmer pad from Cotswolds as for getting all the parts in one kit or buying them seperatly well we all live in hope:lmao:
Not on this F***ing planet but the same goes for any of the stoves on the market buy it break it throw it n buy a new one is what i was told in Cotswolds
All they want is your credit card not your custom MONEY MONEY MONEY that is all any retailer wants today not one of them know what customer satisfaction or Customer service is in this day and age...........Oooops sorry ranting a bit but what do you expect when the first words out of their mouths are , and this is to ANY question "HAVE YOU LOOKED ON THE INTERNET?" ......why would I when i Got the F***ing stove from you ,YOU should sell the service items off the shelf and NOT off your F***ing website.:AR15firin

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
no service kit of any kind came with the stove just a tube of silicon gel and the 3 jets with the poor excuse for a multitool the rest has to cone via the Internet as no one single supplier sells the spares seperately without charging the earth it would be easier to buy a second hand stove and strip it for the parts or do as i did and buy what you need and get E clips and o rings from Screwfix or sim supplier

Thats poor service from Primus IMHO:( I don't bother with the priming pad, you don't really need them to be honest, the rest you can get from basecamp but Primus and Optimus are no longer the companies they were sadly.

I've used Omnifuels and Nova's a lot over the last few years and have replaced nothing, nada; but I burn clean fuel only (sorry to hark on about this), using car fuel and diesel means for instance that you will need to clean your fuel jets a lot and you will over size them my reaming with a pricker. I can't remember the last time I needed to clean a jet of mine on these stoves.

Older stoves such as the 111 use less parts and just seem to last an age. The British Antarctic Survey still use Optimus 45's which are 50 years old when out in 'the field', reason? They are reliable, throw out a lot of heat and there are so few parts that fixing them is a dodle in the field. The Australian Antarctic teams still pack Optimus 111's or 'Choofer stoves' as they call them for the same reason.

For solo camping a real Trangia 27 or 25 can't be beat in terms of reliability, and mount a Nova or Omnifuel or 111T burner in one and you have a fantastic winter stove setup.

Here is a Trangia clone with 111T burner fitted, fluck me it boils water fast and simmers great:)

DSCF3192.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE