A new reasonably inexpensive axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
I have a very similar one, craftsman brand, but apart from being rubber handled, it;s the same construction, weight and size.

I like it. Lots.

andyxedos

Nomad
Jul 2, 2011
newport
was going to buy one of these but got recommended a husqavanna instead which is a lovely little axe and cost about £25 (in some reviews it was rated better than axes that cost over a 100 quid!!).... doesnt look as nice though ;-)

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
Hi
ref the Estwing hatchet if you are mainly using it for chopping kindling and rough shaping it would do the job.
I have an Estwing hammer which is great as you only need to hold the handle at the padded end
In bushcraft you use the axe quite often in a different way often holding the handle right up near the head, this is used when using the axe for more delicate tasks.
With the Estwing axe the metal shaft would not be very comfortable to use in this way
A Gransfors Wildlife Hatchet, a Husquarvana or a Hultafors os similiar size would be good do a search on the forum for hatchets or wildlife axe there are some good reviews

http://greenwood-carving.blogspot.com/2010/07/which-is-best-axe-for-carving-bushcraft.html

This is a good Husqvarna

http://www.radmoretucker.co.uk/category/Axes/product/Husqvarna_Hatchet/

Last edited:

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
was going to buy one of these but got recommended a husqavanna instead which is a lovely little axe and cost about £25 (in some reviews it was rated better than axes that cost over a 100 quid!!).... doesnt look as nice though ;-)

I would totaly agree I bought one last week came to £26. razor sharp on arrival what a great tool for a very reasonable price

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Been using the Husqvarna Hatchet for over a year, sometimes heavily and its a cracker... The steel is very good quality.

A little effort with some wet and dry and it becomes a wonderful thing.
pJdjy.jpg

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
I'm not sure if mine is an Estwing or an Estwing clone but there is one advantage to them which I like. Being a relatively small axe, although heavy for it's size, should mean it's not capable of some of the bigger tasks - however, as the head is formed with the shaft there's no eye to be deformed if you batter the poll with something. If you try that with an 'eyed' axe that isn't designed for it you'll open the eye out and ruin the fit of the haft. I can comfortably batton the Estwing through some very chunky timber whereas I'd not be willing to abuse an eyed axe in the same way.

With that said - forty sheets (or more) for an Estwing is a pretty big ask for such a small axe - it's good, but not that good! I was extremely lucky - I bought an old car and mine was under the spare wheel cover in the boot - needless to say I never went back to the previous owner to ask why he had a concealed hatchet in the boot of his car, I'm just not that inquisitive... or brave.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
The RAF used Estwings for a while (may still do) in their survival kits so they do turn up surplus from time to time. We got two still sealled in their boxes from "Platoon" (before it was bombed out of the centre of Manchester) for peanuts but that was a long time back! herselfs is still in its bag. Absolutely bombproof and I still use it for confind spaces like when chopping out roots and for little jobs where anything bigger would be overkill.

ATB

Tom

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Tried 'em all and the Huskie is the best. Carved a bow and a paddle with mine. Get topknot to make you one of his amazing sheaths to go with it and you are totally fixed for a shade over 40 pounds

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
You can get a Gransfors Bruks Wildlife Hatchet for £43.00, £3.80 dearer, I would go with that.

That said, I have used a Estwing hammer a fair bit and they are absolutely fantastic. I love the stacked leather handle, nice touch.

Edit, just realised that's without postage, still I'd go for that.

Last edited:

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
The Huskie and its existing mask which is perfectly good is 25 pounds.

I greatly prefer it to my GB Wildlife which is a poor splitter whereas I find the Huskie can split and carve. I also find the heavier Huskie head means you get more done for less effort. It's probably true that the Wildlife has slightly higher quality control. Also I believe that the newer Huskies are not as good as the older ones. They seem to vary. Mine is a few years old and a beauty.

I also prefer my Huskie to the GB SFA.

I accidentally cut through the original mask on my Huskie opening the packet and got topknot to make another mask. His masks are a work of art and vastly superior to the GB offering. This link is for a SFA mask but he makes both.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84793
Just my opinions

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE