A man's right....?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cwillson

Forager
Jul 14, 2007
Cotswolds
I have to confess I am a little confused about how this thread has now moved onto a discussion about the finer points of various household objects, namely irons, vacuum cleaners and kitchen tables.

I am fearful that underneath we are just all domesticated house husbands! lol

Perhaps one of us should brave up and offer to hold a meet in their kitchen? I'm sure the other half wouldnt be quite so outspoken if the delicious smells of home baking, the sounds of a fire crackling, and the smell of 8-10 fully grown unwashed men were emanating from underneath the kitchen table in the morning. ;)

After all, its about 'leave no trace' camping huh? There'd be nothing to complain about!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I have to confess I am a little confused about how this thread has now moved onto a discussion about the finer points of various household objects, namely irons, vacuum cleaners and kitchen tables.

I am fearful that underneath we are just all domesticated house husbands! lol

Sorry, might have been my fault :eek: And as for that second remark... NEVER! I do BBQs, blades and pay the gardner to garden.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Dysons are no good. What you need is a kirby.

I think Kirby's are horrible things, and they cost a fortune in bits.
My Dyson is way over ten years old and when it needed fixed Dyson picked it up, repaired it and returned it within 24hours :approve: (didn't cost me a penny even though it was my fault it bust.
It has a hard life too, shavings, fabrics and oose, bits of plant stuff, flint :eek: as well as the usual household debris, and it still sooks as well as ever :approve:

cheers,
Toddy

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
See! I KNEW I would get some constructive ideas from BCUK! lol

Perhaps I should even threaten to do it at HER mistresses house.....?

Well, you could steal a comment from some else (not that I can recall whom) and ask her which she prefers; that you cover the porch in shavings and come home smelling of woodsmoke, or that you come home smelling of another womans perfume?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Yeah Dysons are good and the aftersales service is excellent. I managed to suck up the dogs bowl full of water once and they fixed it within 24 hours. Well, more replaced in all honesty.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Perhaps one of us should brave up and offer to hold a meet in their kitchen? I'm sure the other half wouldnt be quite so outspoken if the delicious smells of home baking, the sounds of a fire crackling, and the smell of 8-10 fully grown unwashed men were emanating from underneath the kitchen table in the morning. ;)

Been there, done that....and the oven is wood fired :)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Well, round here, we are not too pleased with a certain Mr Dyson.

He promised to keep his factory in GB...

...Its now in china...

Anyhow, Kirbys are more versatile and longer lasting.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I allow my wife access to my workroom to do the ironing (she never puts the iron away after though - very annoying!) but she never complains about the leather scraps, fungi dust, thread ends and tools scattered everywhere though she would like me to wash the dye splatters off the window...I have to brush the floor though (worst idea I ever had was to put a carpet in that room!)...she sweeps the rest of the house...
She is allowed into the garage (more accurately my heavier macinery workshop/canoe gear store/forge/ good wood store etc) to plug in the lawnmower but not to play with any tools unless it is the paintbrushes (disposable quality) and paint if she wants to redecorate.
I have to dust my knife collection and spoon/kuksa/bushy carving collection in the living room but she does the rest...she does complain about the straps of my daysack getting tangled with the legs of the computer chair in my "home office" corner of the living room (next to the outdoory boks and map collection....but then it is "my " corner....I am allowed to whittle odds and ends, sharpen blades etc while sat in front of the TV (as long as I dont make too much mess) and she is allowed to do Jigsaw puzzles on the kitchen table...
It is all give and take.....

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Ach - soak it, dry it, sand it, wax it and call it "patina" :D
My kitchen table is about 100 years old and scarred with age/usage/knife slips and looks great!
It had a draw rebuid last year as the original runners had worn away to nothing - if it had been replaced on its first damage I would now not have an antique that was still usable! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE