A bit gross. What do you reckon this is?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
There's a little story behind this.
What's it from though?

23072011602.jpg

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
It is from a badger - right hind foot.

Story goes:
Mate of mine phoned me up to say he'd just done a tracking course up the road and was in the area so thought we'd meet up.
He decides he wants some cider to take home so I got in his car to direct him to the farm that sells it.
We were driving past a spot on a small river that I like to keep an eye on so I asked if we could stop so I could have a quick shufty.
Looking over the bridge and he spots a dead badger in the water. I decide that I don't want it in there fouling up the water so took the task of climbing down to retrieve it.
I grabbed hold the back leg and went to lift it but it slipped through as the hair and some skin came off in my hands. I tried with the front leg and the same happened.
Bloody heavy these things! I had another grab whilst endeavouring not to get wet as I was stood on a rotten branch that was making cracking noises. I tried the front leg again, whilst remarking "Daz, if this buggers pops we'll be puking, the thing's bloated"
Got a good grip this time and then had the trouble of climbing back up one handed through some brambles whilst holding a badger.
We managed to get it up and (this time) remembered to take some pics, but not until I'd used up all of Darren's alcohol gel on my hands to get rid of the stink. The alcohol gel didn't shift it and I had to have a good scrub up when I got back, it was honking something terrible.
I just wonder how it got there in the first place.

Right hind pad.

23072011604.jpg

Right fore pad.

23072011603.jpg

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
There was a dead badger up the road from me - the pavement is next to a retaining wall and the earth bank on top is about 4 feet up - the badger was on top of there. Stank, it did. Don't know if the council removed it or a fox helped itself. You're a braver man than me

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
Had a fox crawl behind a fence in my garden and die, took a week to find where the smell was coming from. Had to get rid of it myself and by that time most of it was just slime with fur, couldnt get the smell out of my nose for days and sometimes get a whiff in the country lanes, so I can imagine how bad the badger smelt. I learnt that day what the smell of death was really like. :(

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
There was a dead badger up the road from me - the pavement is next to a retaining wall and the earth bank on top is about 4 feet up - the badger was on top of there. Stank, it did. Don't know if the council removed it or a fox helped itself. You're a braver man than me
Apparently a high proportion of dead badgers on the side of road when autopsied turn out to have been shot. Shooting badgers gets you into a lot of trouble if caught so disposing of corpse quickly is obviously important, I imagine the nearest road or River are equally good bets.

Mar 1, 2011
Fife, Scotland
As an ex Fishmonger i can tell you that if you wash your hands well they don't smell.

The smell is in your nostrils, by smelling your hand your blocking the air so making it seem that your hands smell.

Just for laughs, if you smell something it's because particles of what your smelling have entered the nostrils. Meaning you have pieces of rotten badger in your nose.

To get rid of it, blow and clean your nose thoroughly, if it's really bad snort lemon.

That will work but hurts like hell.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Apparently a high proportion of dead badgers on the side of road when autopsied turn out to have been shot. Shooting badgers gets you into a lot of trouble if caught so disposing of corpse quickly is obviously important, I imagine the nearest road or River are equally good bets.

I too have heard this but I just don't understand it.
Why go to the risk of being caught with a shot badger in your car or even risk being seen dumping it?

As an ex Fishmonger i can tell you that if you wash your hands well they don't smell.

The smell is in your nostrils, by smelling your hand your blocking the air so making it seem that your hands smell.

Just for laughs, if you smell something it's because particles of what your smelling have entered the nostrils. Meaning you have pieces of rotten badger in your nose.

To get rid of it, blow and clean your nose thoroughly, if it's really bad snort lemon.

That will work but hurts like hell.

Yum, dead badger up my nose.
I did get rid of the smell when I got home but that alcohol gel didn't do much.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE