6 hour wander (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 2, 2007
Herts, Uk
Hi all,

Decided i needed to get out for a bit yesterday and as i have not long moved to this area decided to have a quick look around a few of the little clumps of trees here, was mostly ash and eldar (the latter being great as i do love to make elder flower champagne :D)

but i did stuble across what must have been the biggest colony of king alfred cake i have ever seen
so this was the main trunk of the fallen tree and they must have run for almost 7 feet along it
iPhone007.jpg

iPhone006.jpg

and then i noticed it still had a rather chunky branch which was also covered
iPhone009.jpg

I had a wander along the canal to the village i grew up in which has a couple of decent sized woods in, and found a couple of crab apple trees and sedge plants so they have been noted for later harvesting :) on the subject of apple does anyone know if all apples have a dark heart wood and light sap wood and if so is that true for branchs as well or just the trunk?

i do believe i have to brush up on my identification skills (or it was because i had been out for 4 hours and forgot to top up my water bottle before i left lol) but i could not id this peculiar hedgerow flora ;)

iPhone0101.jpg

But on a serious note i am hoping you can confirm that i have found what i have spent the past 2 years trying to find in this area, some birch polypore?

iPhone013.jpg

iPhone014.jpg

Also does anyone know how to prepare birch polypore to be used as a strop, i have had a search and as of yet havent come across anything usefull,

Thanks for enduring my ramblings :)

Snarf

Nomad
Mar 30, 2009
Birmingham
Is that what I think it is in pic 4?

YUP! ;)

Good Pics Bushwacker!

I have a crab apple tree by a stream not far from my house so will going after them, and some wild blackberries, found a nice selection of king alfreds cakes also but not as much as you, jammy so n so.

Thanks for sharing!

Apr 2, 2007
Herts, Uk
Always glad to bring some amusement :) although from the quick observation i made i dont think the beasts will be meal sized (too much padding left behind!)

still wondering if these are razer strop though lol

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
they certainly look like birch polypore to me, but i'm no expert. no idea about preparing them for use as strops either mate, sorry.

you asked about apple wood - again, i'm no expert but in my experiance you always get the colour difference between heart and sap on trees over a certain age/size, with size as a limiting factor i'd guess that you're much more likely to find the colour difference in the trunk than on the branches. i'm sure someone will be along to correct me presently though.

cheers

stuart

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
They look identical to the Birch PP around my area...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14508691@N08/2021282189/ (just an example form the net)

The flesh inside should be pure white, and smell slightly of antiseptic/tcp.

Peeled and cut into very thin slices, they make very good ember extenders. Tried the strop out of a perfect rectangular section i cut, but i wasn't overly impressed.

But thats just me!

Looks like you have a lifetimes supply of cramp-balls to pick off the odd one too :)

al.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE