2012 Arctic Courses. <<>> Discussion thread. <<>>

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I'm looking at SAS and Norwegian airlines to get there from Manchester.

SAS allow one 23kg bag of less than 158cm combined L+W+H and one 8kg carry on of less than 23x40x55cm in the ticket price.

An extra bag costs about £25 each way.

Norwegian allow a 10kg carry on of less than 23x40x55cm in the ticket price and two 20kg bags for a 50 NOK extra charge each way. (Same size restrictions I think.)

I'm planning to take two bags of less than 20 kg and a carry on and pay the charges which should work out about £60 on top of my tickets.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Fair point !
Brave of you to do the Advanced straight after the Basic, Of course it makes sense, but I was knackered after the basic
And ready for home comforts .
I am fairly fit but it took it out of me.
You are right about air fares, don't look ! ( I did ! )
Take care.
Chris.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
If I fly to tromso 3 days before the advanced course and leave 2 days after, the flights work out 1/3 price of flying to bardufoss on the correct days with Norwegian

The flight to Tromso is a direct one too :)

I'm much happier knowing my stuff hasnt got to change planes too-losing my pack will put the kybosh( spelling?) on everything. I can also get 4 more days there for much less money and spend less time flying.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Very good question-not sure yet Chris.

Public transport is looking likely though. Its about 90 miles to dividalen from Tromso according to GE. I'm still checking out transport before I book the tickets-I'm not walking 90 miles!

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Is there a footpath, I fancy a 90 mile hike.

Dont know about paths, found the road though! It seems the Norwegians can actually run a public transport network too.

Lots of buses seem to run on weekdays to cater for skiers, I fear I need to learn Norwegian to understand the timetables though.

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
What is your idea on cooking kit? As of now I have the following cooking kit planned:

- MSR dragonfly stove + basic deflectors + maintenance/repair kit
- Burner ground sheet to keep the stove from sinking in the snow and/or reflect heat up
- Zebra Billy can 12 cm
- Muurikka picnic foldable frying pan (I don't like those lightweight thingies :))
- Folding trivet for open fire cooking if possible
- Dutch army mug
- Chopsticks for cooking utensils
- Lighter/firesteel

What's your thoughts on it? If we are melting snow for all our water, we could do with some big(ger) pots. A billy can of snow isn't going to quench our thirst and melting it bit by bit will take quite a while.

Would be nice to organise one or more team meals but I am sure most will want to try their own culinary extravaganza as well. Arctic grilled steak is surely going to be on my menu :D

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
My cook kit consists of;

Primus Omnifuel+ spares
1l fuel bottle with vinegar in for the flight
Foil covered plywood base.
Trangia 25 size non stick set
Themos wrapped in Hippo tape
Homemade insulated mug with lid
Big firesteel.
Pot cozy.
Washing up brush.

1L nalgene for hot water bottle and liquid water in the morning-the flask will be full of hot coffee for when I emerge from my pit

I'm planning on emptying the local shop of reindeer meat and their awesome orangey beige cheese(can't remember the name!)

Fruit and veg are pretty poor in Norway from previous experience and pricey too-I'm going to dry plenty to take with me.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
My cook kit consists of;

Primus Omnifuel+ spares
1l fuel bottle with vinegar in for the flight
Foil covered plywood base.
Trangia 25 size non stick set
Themos wrapped in Hippo tape
Homemade insulated mug with lid
Big firesteel.
Pot cozy.
Washing up brush.

1L nalgene for hot water bottle and liquid water in the morning-the flask will be full of hot coffee for when I emerge from my pit

I'm planning on emptying the local shop of reindeer meat and their awesome orangey beige cheese(can't remember the name!)

Fruit and veg are pretty poor in Norway from previous experience and pricey too-I'm going to dry plenty to take with me.

Great kit, are you fitting the Omnifuel into the Trangia ? :)

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Great kit, are you fitting the Omnifuel into the Trangia ? :)

I was thinking about it, I'm going to have a play soon to see what needs doing to it to make it fit.

Why vinegar?

Vinegar masks the smell of petrol and is safe to carry on a plane. Pump some through the stove and all the smell of go-juice is gone from the stove ;)

A whiff of petrol may see customs bin my fuel bottles and stove. I dont find washing up liquid works well for removing petrol smells.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Looks like an easy thing to knock up in the workshop, thanks for that Rik.

....Be warned though, when others see its performance you will be on snow melting duty.

Any chance of publicly retracting that statement and replacing it with 'it'll work terribly, don't try and melt snow for anyone else' ?....:lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE