2010 Shangri-la 3

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gregs656

Nov 14, 2009
West Sussex
I noticed these are available on their site, any one got one yet?

I've been holding out on buying one for this years improvements, so interested to find out if it's worth buying this years one or the old model at a reduced price.

Cheers,
Greg

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
What's new?

I seem to remember that they have taped the seams on the new one where as you had to spend a bit of time seam-sealing the old one yourself. It was not a drama so, if that's the only difference, get a bargain from last season and seal it yourself.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Its not much lighter and having looked at the "improvements" I'd go for the 2009 version at a hefty discount. I have one and its very good.

gregs656

Nov 14, 2009
West Sussex
cheers guys, I think I will go with what you say. Lets face it, they've seen some pretty harsh environments.

Considering the discount, would you worry too much about the colour? I know green is popular, my Force Ten is orange so . . .

Last edited:

gregs656

Nov 14, 2009
West Sussex
Well, I got the whole lot, outter, nest and floor (which to be honest I will probably never use) for £220 from Uttings Outdoors. I'm happy with that.

The new outer is RRP of £200 so I've saved my self a bit of cash at least.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Well, I got the whole lot, outter, nest and floor (which to be honest I will probably never use) for £220 from Uttings Outdoors. I'm happy with that.

The new outer is RRP of £200 so I've saved my self a bit of cash at least.

Don't discount the nest its very useful. I always the nest in my Hex 3 it weighs next to nothing, keeps your bum dry and keeps out the bugs.

Plus

When you pitch a Hex3/Shangri-la3 you can pitch the tent down to the earth or using the supplied extender pole, raise the tent several inches. Raising the tent keeps down condensation and gives you more usable room (you will be surprised how much you loose pegging down to earth) plus the raised walls of the bathtub groundsheet will keep cross draughts from blowing over you.

gregs656

Nov 14, 2009
West Sussex
Don't discount the nest its very useful. I always the nest in my Hex 3 it weighs next to nothing, keeps your bum dry and keeps out the bugs.

Plus

When you pitch a Hex3/Shangri-la3 you can pitch the tent down to the earth or using the supplied extender pole, raise the tent several inches. Raising the tent keeps down condensation and gives you more usable room (you will be surprised how much you loose pegging down to earth) plus the raised walls of the bathtub groundsheet will keep cross draughts from blowing over you.

I wasn't discounting the nest, I think I will probably use that most of the time. I'm not sure if I will use the floor much though, unless I use both together and pull in the nest to make the 'living' area a bit larger, which I think I probably will do unless condensation becomes a problem.

What I like about this tent is that it gives you options. I've got and used extensively a force 10, it's a cracking tent but it's only really practical in the car, got a cheapo one for on the bike but I hate using cheap tents after the force 10. I'm hoping I can use this for some years to come.

Hopefully it will get here tomorrow.

gregs656

Nov 14, 2009
West Sussex
It arrived yesterday, seems to me like a good bit of kit. Just need a bit of time and a bit of tidy weather to dry out the ground a bit so I can have a few goes at setting it all up.

gregs656

Nov 14, 2009
West Sussex
I've got the 2009 model. Great shelter.

Anybody know where I can get a good deal on a nest?

I got mine from Uttings Outdoors. I think it was £70. Not bad considering the RRP is over a ton.

Ideally I would like a 'solid' half or 3/4 inner. I will have to look into getting one of those from some where.

I think the floor would fit the hex. I don't think they have ever really change in terms of dimensions, but of course I might be wrong.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE