2 nights in Kentish woodland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Well I’m the king of the swingers, oh I’m a jungle vip. You find a spot ya like, tie ya marlin spike, it’s the hammocking life for me…..oh dooby do I wanna be like yooooouuuuu…..

Hi All, popped my hammocking cherry this weekend. Now why didn’t I do this sooner, best couple of nights sleep I’ve had in the woods for ages. What a great summers weekend to be camping in the woods. I know there’s a lot of rufty tufty bushcrafters on here who’ll tell you that they’ve camped out when it was minus this or minus that, and occasionally I like to think myself one of them. But you simply can’t beat kicking back in your hammock chair in the woods on a warm summers day while supping on a cold can of suds, with a group of mates, listening to the birds sing and the trees gently rustle in the cool breeze. Life don’t get much better than that.
view from the hammock chair:
20150627_170659_zpsokytcxj0.jpg~320x480

But of course, it’s not all about kicking back and relaxing as there is some living to be done;

First up a fire to be lit using natural tinder (good old silver birch bark – the queen of the forest!) and a single spark. One of my camp mates – Andy also got a fire going with his bow drill, fair play there matey, I had a go and couldn’t get the knack of it – more practice needed methinks.
20150627_214617_zpslyum5ign.jpg~320x480

A pot hanger; over engineered would be an understatement. It only needed to hold a billy can but I’m packing more than my fair share of timber and this tripod held my weight very easily. Still it helped me practice and memorise a new knot – the clove hitch. Am happy to report that I’ve got quite a few handy knots stored in the old memory bank now. And for any gram counters out there – I can confirm that a collection of memorised knots weigh absolutely nothing!
20150627_165935_zpsunsh5cep.jpg~320x480

And then it was time to prepare those sausage sticks because no camping trip is complete without cooking a sausage over a fire. I’ve been doing that since I was a cub scout and it’s still as much fun now as it was 25+years agol

But the fun doesn’t stop there, as we were camping out for two nights this time so the next day was spent doing a little bit of spoon carving with a bit of hazel, this is my second ever go at carving a spoon, needs some more work yet but I’m quite proud of it.
20150627_165814_zps0rrcxnrk.jpg~320x480

And then we went for a walk around the local area to remind ourselves how amazing the English countryside can be:
20150627_140503_zpsuxvg4rfm.jpg~320x480

20150627_150330_zps5skhym1c.jpg~320x480

Later that day, one of my camp buddies, Andy, checked his trail cam that he keeps set-up nearby and shouted out that he’d got something. So, as I sat there nervously wondering whether his cam may have inadvertently caught me ‘answering a call of nature’ (not something you’d want to see on springwatch) it transpired that he’d recorded a lesser spotted rambler walking by which was quite odd as we were way off the beaten track. But then there was another video and this was the jackpot, he’d only got some footage of a fallow deer wandering around at night! Amazing to have such great wildlife in our area, I mean you really don’t get that many ramblers in that part of the Kentish woodland!

So here’s a pic of my hammock set-up. This to me was a revelation, as an otherwise happy ground dweller I wasn’t sure how I’d get on with this swinging malarkey (no not that kind of swinging!) so I ordered a basic ‘Woodsman’ hammock from UK Hammocks with the whoopie sling suspension and it was by far the most comfortable sleeping experience I’ve had in the woods. The hammock was huge and allowed me to enjoy a very comfortable flat lay on the diagonal and was also able to sleep happily on my side (I’d watched plenty of youtube vids on hammocking before this trip and whoo buddy, it was all secure in sector seven!) The hammock didn’t come with a bug net but that didn’t cause too much trouble, I came prepared with some deet bug repellent and citronella candles. During the first night I found that I slipped down into the centre of the hammock so I fixed that problem by adjusting the lay so that my head end was lower than the foot end – easily adjusted when you have the whoopie slings. Comfort aside, a couple of the other highlights for me was; making coffee from my hammock in the morning, and enjoying the sights of the woodland as you wake up (up until this point, I’d always zipped myself away in a small tent)
20150627_165650_zpsj6rmi8od.jpg~320x480

20150628_053412_zpsprosghmt.jpg~320x480

20150628_061931_zpswvb4waop.jpg~320x480

And here’s some pics of my camp mates set-ups, we had a bit of everything here, snugpack jungle hammock, hennesey hammocks and dd hammocks. Everyone slept quite happily and quite comfortably:
20150627_165915_zpsvmtmkwdx.jpg~320x480

20150627_165718_zpsosz6zhau.jpg~320x480

20150627_165737_zpsgnn1bfnk.jpg~320x480

20150627_165747_zps65llatrd.jpg~320x480

Now I’m back home, I can’t wait to get out again for another camp and to practice more bushcrafting skills.

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
Was a really good weekend mate,looking forward to the next one again.Next time we are out you will suss the bow drill and we will cut you a bow drill set.Good write up as usual mate.

woodsrunner

Forager
May 13, 2013
Montana USA
nice lookin camp partner...thanks for posting...i have spent many evenings in camps just like yours, usually along a river somewheres.
Nothing like it, good stuff:)...woods

Last edited:

richardhomer

Settler
Aug 23, 2012
STOURBRIDGE
looks and sounds like you had a great couple of day's out in the woods.
Iv never used a hammock. Its something that I would like to have a go at one day

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Thanks all for the kind comments.
I can thoroughly recommend hammock camping, just do your research first as every hammock seems to be different and each carry there own pros and cons. I'm a big bloke and for that reason I went for a wide hammock where I knew I could achieve a comfortable diagonal lay.
Of course, having said all of that I still have a nice tent that I Dare'nt say I'll happily go back to whenever the mood or habitat takes me.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Thanks all for the kind comments.
I can thoroughly recommend hammock camping, just do your research first as every hammock seems to be different and each carry there own pros and cons. I'm a big bloke and for that reason I went for a wide hammock where I knew I could achieve a comfortable diagonal lay.
Of course, having said all of that I still have a nice tent that I Dare'nt say I'll happily go back to whenever the mood or habitat takes me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE