2 Men, 2 Girls, 2 Canoes & 2 Dogs for 2 days

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Just noticed this new section. Excellent idea. So I thought I would post a recent blogg thread from SotP.

I have been promising the girls that I would take them on an overnight camping trip for ages. They were looking forward to trying out hammocks for the first time.

Last weekend Stuart_Blink was free as Zippy was off gallivanting in the US. As it happened friends of our were also away and I was dog sitting their collie Kes. Bes, Stuart and Zippy's dog would also be accompanying us.

So on Saturday morning Stuart, Eleanor & Gwen, the dogs Kes and Bes and of course myself set of from Balmaha (Loch Lomond) for an overnight camping trip.

Saturday was warm with a force 2 to 3 wind. We were not the only family out on the water either.

2men1.jpg

We headed north round Inchcialloch to the north east end of Torrinch. Here we landed and had lunch. The initial part of the journey had shown the water was a little lumpy. Eleanor had taken this in her stride but Gwen took a little longer to settle.

2men2.jpg

During lunch Kes seemed keen to try out his new PFD. He has always been fond of water and fetching a stick from the loch is as much fun as he can imagine. With a PFD he can now do this for quite a bit longer too :rolleyes:

2men9.jpg

After Lunch we headed of to explore some more of Torrinch. Eleanor paddling with Stuart and Bes.

2men3.jpg

Kes was with me and taking this canoeing lark in his stride. Gwen had also settled into the trip too.

2men6.jpg

After some exploring we went over to our intended camp site. Much to our horror a couple of fishermen were setting up for an overnight session. They were happy for us to share the spot but there were plenty of other options so we decided to go elsewhere.

After a brief discussion we opted for the north east end of Torrinch, near where we had lunch.

Once there we set up camp. I was fortunate to find a tree arrangement that allowed both the girls hammocks to be covered by one tarp. Teddy seemed pleased too :rolleyes:

2men4.jpg

One of the things we had planned for camp was trying to cook bread and bannock. I had a bit of a headache so was not as keen as I could have been but still determined to give it a go. We mixed up the dough with dried fruit in it and eventually managed to get it not too sticky. :rolleyes: This was split into three parts. One to be baked on a billy and two to be toasted on sticks.

2men11.jpg

The baked portion was, shall we say, a little crispy on the outside but in my defence the billy was too big to get into the ashes of the firebox. Inside it was perfect of course.

2men12.jpg

The two pieces for toasting had been reduced to one as Kes on passing by decided one was for him :rolleyes:

The last bit was split in two and the girls wrapped these round a stick and toasted them. I never got to see much of these are the girls seemed to be eating them within minutes, however, I was assured that they were good.

About half nine the girls went to their hammock and were sound asleep in minutes. Stuart and I stayed up for another hour or so. Enough time for me to get something to eat and my headache to pass.

2men5.jpg

In the morning the girls woke in there hammocks about half past six. Fresh and ready to go. There had been a little rain during the night but everything was dry.

2men7.jpg

As we were having breakfast an Otter swam by. Unfortunately Kes was by the shore wanting a stick thrown and the otter saw him and headed out from shore. Still I was pleased as it was my first otter sighting. Managed a picture but it is pants. You will kind of have to take my word that it was an otter.

otter.jpg

As we broke camp a passing fishing boat warned us that the water was pretty rough round the north side of the island. We couldn't miss out on that.

2men8.jpg

Gwen was now more than happy to be out in big waves. The picture above looks as if the trim is just off but in fact the trim was pretty much neutral, it is jut a big wave they are going over.

As you can see below Eleanor was equally happy with the big water, Kes and me are not exactly upset about it either.

2men10.jpg

We headed round the north side of Torrinch and across to Creinch, an island I have not explored before. It looks like it has quite a few places for an overnight stop. Here we had lunch then headed of back to the cars to load up and head home.

Below is the map of the area showing the islands we explored.

balamaha.jpg

All in all as superb trip. The girls were very keen for us to stay another night and are already nagging me about when we will next go out. So it looks like I might be doing a little less solo paddling for a while at least.

Reactions: tomtom

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
Looks like you had a great time you are lucky to have such a great area to paddle in. Those hammocks really are good and I like your firebox :)

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Absolutely fantastic. Looks wonderful, and it certainly looks like the girls (and dogs!) had a top time too, which is the important thing.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
looks like you all had a great time good to see the girls enjoying themselves oh and teddy:) that hammock setup looks great what size is that tarp? 3mx6m? i so need to get my self a boat :rolleyes:

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Thanks for sharing that, I've been past the area a few times on my way to the highlands but never spent any time there.
It looks like you all had a great time, It's good to see kids enjoying themsleves outdoors.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Thanks for that,nice report and great pictures.

Glad that you all enjoyed yourselves. :)

How easy/difficult is it to get a big dog back into a canoe?

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
dommyracer said:
Awesome.
How big is that tarp?

The tarp is just a 3 x 3m tatonka one. I was just fortunate to find a pitch that allowed the hammocks close together. I did have a tarp for each hammock if needed.

BorderReiver said:
How easy/difficult is it to get a big dog back into a canoe?

I assume you mean when out on open water. The dog has never gone for a swim from the canoe but I have hauled the girls back in after a swim and it is not too difficult.

Tony said:
Excellent stuff mate, that's definitely what this forum is for :You_Rock_

As I said I just spotted this new section. I definitely think somewhere to post trip reports is needed. It is certainly one of the most active parts of SotP

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
[font=&quot]Great report John, and I’m sure you will be able to get back to solo paddling once the girls persuade you get them their own boat :lmao:
[/font]

davef

Forager
Mar 6, 2006
North Lancashire
we'd love to try it, only problem is our 3 spaniels have water issues....

we'd NEVER get them out of it.. one of them will only come out of the river when attatched to a winch line! She even goes in January when there was ice on the surface!

although if we could rig up some husky traces it'd save on the paddling :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE