2 man tent and sleeping bag for beginner wild camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
One last thing i was wondering about is whether a down sleeping bag would be better then synthetic ? From what I think i know they are stuffed feathers and you can't get them wet at all. But is the benefit just they are warmer and pack smaller ?

Check out homesickstev's suggested links (I'm also a happy Alpkit customer), which has a good guide to choosing a sleeping bag. Its true that down likes water even less than synthetic, but no sleeping bag works well when wet. The idea that down just turns to porriage, while synthetic keeps you super toasty is something that gets repeated again and again, but probably isn't true for most people. Of course your going to keep your bag dry with drybags, etc, no matter what its made of.

Kristin Hostetter is the long time Gear editor of Backpacker magazine, and her reply to the question 'down v synthetic' was:

The deal is pretty simple actually. Do you wanna save money? Buy a synthetic. Do you wanna save weight? Go with down. - See more at: http://www.backpacker.com/gear/experts/ask-kristin/down-vs-synthetic/#sthash.HXXID0YY.dpuf

I like the advice Peter Cinch gave some years back on OM:

I don't know why, but from a lot of anecdotal evidence over many years I've heard that ratings on down bags are a lot more conservative than ratings on synthetics. In other words, people complaining they froze in synthetics rated for the job while those in similarly rated down didn't. Note the "anecdotal" in there, and I've never done a proper study, but I've heard enough to give it the benefit of the doubt at least.
And as regards packing size, stated packing sizes for down are easily achieved by a Real Person (TM) and a normal stuffsac, while for synthetics ISTM that you need to be two separate gorillas with special tools.
Further (anecdotal) evidence is that I've heard a lot of people switch from synthetic to down and come away much happier, and pretty much nobody who's expressed happiness the other way.
The real arguments for synthetic IMHO are lower capital cost (if you don't have the money then better value over 10 years is a moot point) and much easier cleaning. Yes, they do work better wet, but they still don't work very well when wet and will still be hideously icky, so whatever bag you get you just don't get it wet. The other ace for synthetics is if you're allergic to down.

Down bags generally cost a lot more and dont handle damp as well, hence some of the reasons why the military use synthetic bags. On the other hand, down bags last longer, are warmer for the weight, and pack down much smaller. These days they also often have some sort of tretment which makes them more moisture resistant. I've got an old Snugpak bag, but my next bag will be down if I can afford it - its just much more efficent. Having said that, if I could get a killer deal on a MH Lamina O, then I might go with that, because their weight is very good for a synthetic.

Its up to you - just buy the best you can afford, that will work for you (buy cheap, buy twice). A rubbish sleeping bag is just torture when your freezing in it and you've got 6 hours to go before daylight, plus another two nights in the blessed thing. Decent sleeping mat can also make a lot of difference. Go into a decent store after some research and try them out. Same goes for tents. If there is a tent show, go and see what they are like - its much better than guessing from a photo and a little drawing.

Whatever you do, don't think that the extreme temp quoted on a bags discription is a 'real' figure - its often included on dodgy bags as something that the bag could go down to, but Alpkit explain it as:

Please note the extreme rating is the temperature at which the average woman can remain for six hours without risk of DEATH from hypothermia - but can still sustain cold injuries - under EN13537 conditions.

That does not sound like fun!

Finglas

Sep 18, 2015
Glasgow
Thanks a lot again appreciate all this help.

As for alpkit, i read all they links and they were brilliant. Really cleared matters up, unfortunately paying around £150 for a sleeping bag at the moment is a bit out of my reach i think (just finished uni!). I have seen the Eurohike 500 down bag for £70 and from what iv seen it seems to get semi decent reviews. Does anyone have any experience with this ?

Thanks again

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Eurohike 500 down bag for £70 and from what iv seen it seems to get semi decent reviews

Its a set of decent reviews for a sleeping bag that has a comfort rating of plus 7 degrees! Your description of the conditions you were looking to be in were 'in the Scottish Highland....I am thinking of camping spring, summer and autumn so I would likely encounter some rather chilly weather'. You'd be wasting your money, and possibly freezing your bits off.

If you've got that kind of cash, much better to buy something like this: http://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/125014-mountain-hardwear-lamina-20-sleeping-bag-left-hand-zip.html - great price (a description here: http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/moun...0-regular-sleeping-bag-d2232158?id_colour=108 ), but even thats probably not going to be warm enough. Much better is to buy the next one up - the Lamina 0 (currently c.£135). Do your research on the market, save your money, and wait to see what price that falls to when the new range from MH pushes them to clearance. I think Quixotix Geek has one, and seems to like it. Its £123 from Rockrun http://www.rockrun.com/mountain-hardwear-lamina-0, and £116 from Trekkit - http://www.trekitt.co.uk/8638/products/mountain-hardwear-lamina-0-regular.aspx . In fact thats a cracking deal.

If you get your eye in on what is good, you could pick one up in a sale, use vouchers, discount codes and special offers. And there is always second hand - both this site and OM have classifieds. Buy the best you can, and dont worry about buying down or synthetic if your on a budget, just find a bag that does what you want, and is the lightest/best at the price you can afford. A really cheap down bag is cheap for a reason, and its seldom a good one.

When I finished uni I was unemployed for a year. I was so sick of freezing on excavations that I bought (at a really good price) a Snugpak Osprey 12 for about £85. My girlfiend went nuts that I'd spent that money on a sleeping bag. 21 years later I still have the bag, and its still (fairly) warm. The girlfriend? Last saw her in 1995! Good kit lasts!

Finglas

Sep 18, 2015
Glasgow
Thanks old bones informative and amusing post haha! I guess I have not considered things thoroughly enough. You are right it will be worth spending more money and being safe/comfortable. Sounds like a good bag will be more of an investment!

rg598

Native
My advice would be not to try anything to "cute" or tricky. Just look at the gear list of someone who backpacks a lot, and you will have a pretty good idea of what you need. There are sites that focus on comparison reviews of backpacking products where you can get a good differentiation between the different offerings in a given category. I like Outdoor Gear Lab for that task. Once you have an idea of what you want, go into a backpacking/camping supply store and see what they have and would recommend. For your budget you should be able to get good gear.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
I dont know if its a coincidence, but there is someone asking about tents and stuff on OM - if it isn't you, then they are asking the right sort of questions! http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/gear/vango-chinook-200-or-wild-country-trisar-2/69409.html

RG598's idea of using something like Outdoor Gear lab is excellent - its a really useful site, although some of the brands are only available Stateside. Trailspace is another US site that can be very useful, and http://www.buachaille.com/ is a UK site which has reviews and monitors prices. The Cotswolds catalogue was how I first learnt about stuff - you can compare weight, etc against price.

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
If your looking for a fairly cheap tent for two you can do a lot worse than a Vango banshee, as someone else already mentioned. It's easy to put up and fairly light if you are splitting the weight between two. But don't go for the banshee 200 which is supposedly a two man tent - way too small. Go for the banshee 300 which though marketed as a three man, is really just about right for 2.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
The only sleeping bag that still works when you are wet is a buffalo. But you pay a high price in weight and bulk, a really high price.

Weight matters; even the toughest of people are more tired when carrying more weight. There is a reason why the army tests insist on the soldiers carrying a minimum load; and look at how they suffer!

You've mentioned camping in Scotland in every season except winter. That means you need to take midges into account. Forget these poncho's and tarp things, make sure you get a tent that is midge proof. There are few things more miserable than trying to sleep while being eaten by midges.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE