100% wool head-over £1.50 - £4.50

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
I bought this from Endicotts today. Its a 100% wool headover. First one I have ever bought. I was thinking about buying the merino one from Tamarack but at four or five times the price I hesitated.

So....did I find it itchy? Well yes and no. I have a very average skin - neither over-sensitive nor under-sensitive. When I put wool on (all except merino or angora) then it itches in a minor way for maybe 10-15 mins before I forget it and then its okay from then on. The only other time is wearing wool when I am very sweaty then it can become a bit of an issue.

However I have worn this headover for several hours. I have worn it inside and out. Cooked outside with it on and chopped some wood (to generate a bit of sweat) and have found, by and large, this head-over to be comfortable, warm, spark-proof and excellent value.

You can pick them up from £1.50 to £4.50 from Kev.

I am glad I bought this one and saved my money instead of buying a gucci merino one.

http://www.endicotts.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=178

IMGP7901.jpg
IMGP7900.jpg

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Been using one myself for a few years now. They're great for pulling up round the ears and under a hat when it's windy and cold.

I only tend get itchy if I've got a few days of stubble round my neck.

Forager
Jun 16, 2008
North East
I've got one of these. they work well when the winds blowing and keep your nose warm when its cold.

Simple but effective and for a few quid they're well worth a go.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Still got my issue one. Methinks it's probably time to get a new one, as after 20 years and several washes it's shrunk a bit or me ol' noggin has grown... Lovely bit o' kit though.

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
Hi Littlebiglane, like the headover...but (and without reading anything else into it guys!) I like the granddad shirt/vest you have on...any details on where I can find one of those too?

Cheers

Sack

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Hi Littlebiglane, like the headover...but (and without reading anything else into it guys!) I like the granddad shirt/vest you have on...any details on where I can find one of those too?

Cheers

Sack

Uniqlo. Sometime ago though. Don't know if they still stock them. Occasionally go by the name of henley neck. Endicotts do a nice swedish grandad top (quite long though) which is also good - http://www.endicotts.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1377

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I have the same one. Excellent kit. Very warm in winter and can be used as a hat, towel, oven glove and emergency midge net.

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
Handy item to have. Cuts off those cold drafts around the neck that occur even when you have a hood up.

I wear mine around the neck and also in different modes.
By itself.
As a open face balaclava with my jacket hood up over it. Think cold, wet, chilly weather.
With a cheap watch cap over it to double the insulation.
If the material permits, you can fold up some of the material to cover most of your lower face.
You can also make a stocking hat out of it-fold one end inside itself and tuck the excess material into the fold and you wind up with a cap that fits on your noggin with a peak at front and back.
You can use an extra one as a muff to cover your hands if you are sitting-keeps your hands warm.
As an ear muff headband-keep the frost off your ears.

For extreme cold-use 2 headovers together one inside the other as an open face balaclava. If you cannot stand the itchiness do not throw away the wool one use a thin synthetic headover inside it.

I have a U.S. Army one-olive drab 100% wool. Marked ECWCS Extended Cold Weather Clothing System. Seek that ECWCS word on the web and ye shall be richly rewarded with knowledge on that clothing system for cold weather.

Last edited:

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
Itchiness problem:

Use Woolite for wool or similar product and hand wash-gently stretch back into shape and dry flat-avoids straining the wool. If you need to use a hanger use two hangers and wrap the headover around the hanger-takes longer to dry but avoids stretching out the wool. I have used a white vinegar rinse and wash a few times on mine and it seemed to take away the itchiness. Maybe fabric softener would help?

I came across the idea of using headovers in a layering concept after reading a bit in Cresson Kearney's Nuclear War Survival skills book online somewhere for free. Basically he says that you can get by with fewer clothes if you have more insulation around the head/neck area. Goes on to discuss the benefits of the Eskimo parka hood design.

I have tried this out in cold weather and at first you will feel a hot effect around the head/neck like your head is too hot but then the rest of your body warms up and the heat seems to level off in your body. I have only used this method when doing some tasks outdoors in minus C temps or when I had to be stationary for a time outdoors in cold weather.

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
If you have to go the nonwool headover road,
check bicycle messengers/motorcycle supply stores for cold weather riding gear. Usually they will carry a headover type garment in synthetic material.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE