Broken Zip Woes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone got any suggestions:

40579135295_0c6ac166a9_o.jpg

This is my favourite bag and I'm not willing to give up on it, even though this has spoilt things.
The good news is that there are other zip pullers on the bag the same size that don't get used that often, so I'm more than happy to swap them around.
However.
Does anyone know how to get one zip pull of the zip without damaging either the zip or the pull?
I've tried in the past and failed miserably. I'm hoping I've just done something wrong.

If anyone's been in a similar position before I would love to know what you did.
Help me Obi Wan, you're my only hope...

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Right, I've fixed it.
I'll detail here how I did it in case anyone else has the same thing happen.

First thing to say, is that it did involve surgery.
Fortunately for me this was the zip on a full length opening clam shell pack, so I had a bit to play with.
What I did was go to the end of the zip, right at the end of the zip's travel, and then I had to cut the zip and cloth backing so the zip pull would come off.
I then fed the new pull on to this.
Once this was done I got a needle and thread and bound the cut zip so the pull would never go that far.
And when that was done I then doused the thread and end of the zip in superglue, just for added strength.
This means I have lost the last inch of travel for the zip. In a full length opening clam shell pack that's no loss at all.
I can live with that to have my favourite bag back to full working order. Which of us, as we progress in years, can't boast the odd scar, eh?

For those of you of a sensitive disposition you will be heartened to know that after the operation, when all was well, we hugged and shed a little tear together, happy to know that the great outdoors would continue to be ours together for many more adventures yet.
A man and his bag, eh? It's a special relationship.

Here's a picture of the wound post-op to give you an idea of the procedure...

27602236348_0c3861a836_o.jpg

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Oh yeah.
But having just watched the video on how that works, I think I prefer my solution.
Keeps the look of the bag as well.
That last inch of the zip travel that my solution ruins is not a problem at all on my bag, and that 'fixnzip' would have done much the same with the old puller staying in place

Good to know that something is available, but in my situation, on my bag, I prefer my solution. I suppose I was lucky since I had a good length of zip to play with and to hide the fix. And I am left with an original zip pull in place.

Cheers though.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Crazy really that we get these over engineered, super tough bags only for a bit of cheap alloy to give way. Good mend. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE