2-day cooking course - What to bring?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I need some advice from more experienced bushmooters:

After some change of plans at work, I'm going to go to the Bushmoot by train/taxi and then DH is going to join me a couple of days later with the car and all the stuff. Since the axe course got cancelled, I'm now also doing the 2nd day of the open fire cooking course. I wasn't planning on bringing much more than a jetboil, my personal eating things and some hiking-type food since my backpack will be heavy enough with all the sleeping gear, and wait with the more advanced cooking until DH has arrived with the car and "every outdoorsy cooking-related thing we own" :eek:

But according to the website, the second day is more hands on than the first day, so my question is: do I need to bring anything for the cooking course? Or are equipment and ingredients provided?

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
SaraR, knowing Neil I would imagine he'll provide all the bits and bobs and I doubt you'll be able to carry a large dutch oven with you...!

Most the mooters will be there already and there's little to no reception (lucky people).

If you do need some, I won't need my cook gear until I get back from picking friends up at about 4pm on Friday, so you can borrow my large dutch if you need it. I'll be somewhere around the pirate ship area and will have a large grey Colman shelter from Thursday evening. I'll likely as not be up at the naughty corner on the Thursday night so you can always grab me then. I don't think there's any other Tim at the moot people will confuse me with... so ask any of the main regulars they'll point you in my direction.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
SaraR, knowing Neil I would imagine he'll provide all the bits and bobs and I doubt you'll be able to carry a large dutch oven with you...!

Most the mooters will be there already and there's little to no reception (lucky people).

If you do need some, I won't need my cook gear until I get back from picking friends up at about 4pm on Friday, so you can borrow my large dutch if you need it. I'll be somewhere around the pirate ship area and will have a large grey Colman shelter from Thursday evening. I'll likely as not be up at the naughty corner on the Thursday night so you can always grab me then. I don't think there's any other Tim at the moot people will confuse me with... so ask any of the main regulars they'll point you in my direction.

Thanks Tim! I'm sure I'll be fine then, but thank you for the kind offer.

I've had to take a lot more and heavier things on the trains for work, but the dutch oven is definitely a car item. Although I'm sure some minimalists could fit all their gear in a big dutch oven and then just carry it like that. :D

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
What would be the three most probable kitchen/cooking prep tools that are your favorites to work with?

A very large wooden fork (poking, prodding, flipping and stirring), a wooden tasting & eating spoon and
a small (15cm?) Chinese style cleaver for cutting and bashing things.
A wok is very useful over an open fire but with my favorite wok spoon (both 45 yrs old.)

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
What would be the three most probable kitchen/cooking prep tools that are your favorites to work with?

A very large wooden fork (poking, prodding, flipping and stirring), a wooden tasting & eating spoon and
a small (15cm?) Chinese style cleaver for cutting and bashing things.
A wok is very useful over an open fire but with my favorite wok spoon (both 45 yrs old.)

Oh difficult question! I'd go with a strong metal fork, my trusty 350 ml plastic kåsa with 50 & 100 ml graduations and a long handled non-metal spoon for nonstick pots.

Or maybe a cutting board. I never bring a cutting board and always think I should have.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE