Zebra Bread

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Nothing new here just a very simple bread oven that worked well with a yeast based bread.

IMG_6995.jpeg
One 16cm Zebra pot in an SS mixing (dog) bowl
……and old faithful. (This works just as well and almost as conveniently on an open fire. )
Start by boiling a Kettle full. Why? Watch this space.

IMG_6997.jpeg
Zebra Oven contents:
The wire trivet took just a few minutes to bend. Three stones would work; anything that can stand the heat and keep the pan 25mm off the bottom of the oven.
I started the experiment with the savarin tins because that’s what everyone seems to use but there is no need.

IMG_6998.jpeg
These are just cheap Summit ss bowls from Tesco. They work fine. You only use one bowl at a time but I tend to mix enough for two buns.

IMG_6999.jpeg
Dish of proved dough goes onto the trivet.
The Zebra curry tray goes into the pot, topped by the lid.

Out of sequence but:
By putting the dish with the proving dough on top of the warm kettle and covering it with a cloth, it proves quicker.
IMG_7002.jpeg
And off you go.

Fifteen minutes baking on the fire then a quick switch for ten minutes.
IMG_7004.jpeg
IMG_6740.jpeg
If you are doing this on an open fire then shovel some fire into the curry tray for the last ten minutes but you might need to fan the coals.
There’s your crusty bun, no pale patches or white top.
Enjoy.

You’ve also got enough hot water to wash up so do it already!
IMG_6743.jpeg

I’m presuming that anyone who might try this has already got their own bread recipe and quite possibly a better oven.

The bread is good and the Zebra pot can be used for any other purpose. I’ve modified the bail handle on mine. However the only modification you really need is to remove the plastic handle clips. Then you’re going to need pot grippers when the handle gets hot or make some wire clips A La YouTube.

Last edited:

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
Call me a coward but I quite like steaming bread this way to avoid any possible burning. Of course it ends up strangely crustless but slices can be toasted (and potentially burnt ;)) to restore some semblance of normality.

Reactions: scruff and Pattree

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE