Workshop Marking Knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
I like to dabble in what I call "proper" woodwork, as opposed to green woodwork, and although I would not class myself as any good at it, I have aspirations in that direction. Part of the learning curve was discovering that great accuracy comes from a knife marked line, rather than a pencil line. To this end I made this pair of marking knives.

Marking knives by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

Marking knives2 by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

Made from some offcuts of 2mm O1 steel, each knife has a single bevel. I need both a right hand bevel and left hand bevel knife, depending on which side of a straightedge I wish to mark. The blades have a half tang, let into a slot cut into the acacia wood handles, and they are pinned with stainless steel rod. The acacia was also offcuts, left over from making a chopping board.

I realise that marking knives can be purchased, and they are not terribly expensive either, but I get more satisfaction from using a tool that I have made.

Thanks for looking.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The greatest value in a right and left pair. Those finished really well.
My first reaction on seeing them is that they will do well for the "formline" style
of carving here in the Pacific Northwest native arts.

What is the included bevel angle? (Just me, I always have to ask!)

Reactions: Muddypaws

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Looks great.

I would call it a kiridashi, as much as anything because I like the name.

I'm just finishing up running a kiridashi kith on edgematters with a dozen(ish) people making variants. Its the third kith of its type I've run. It's amazing the difference of each people's interpretation.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
The greatest value in a right and left pair. Those finished really well.
My first reaction on seeing them is that they will do well for the "formline" style
of carving here in the Pacific Northwest native arts.

What is the included bevel angle? (Just me, I always have to ask!)

I was freehand grinding by eye, but was aiming for about 25 degrees, same as a wood chisel.

I don't think I would use them for carving though, as I think the temper might be a bit towards the harder end of the scale (note the use of very non technical terminology!)

Thanks for all the kind words.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Looks great.

I would call it a kiridashi, as much as anything because I like the name.

I'm just finishing up running a kiridashi kith on edgematters with a dozen(ish) people making variants. Its the third kith of its type I've run. It's amazing the difference of each people's interpretation.

Kiridashi by my definition too.

Very nice :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
25* is good. I'd have 1 in each fist. Hard steel is good. Would be ripping whole Vee-grooves in no time.
I thought that I needed a Pfeil Brienz knife for carving. Double bevel & hardly ever use it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE