Woodland Foray

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Enjoyed a crackign day out up the woods with Hugo today, rather than go for the four or five mile wander we normally do, we decided today to operate from a fixed area and just sit there, enjoy the surroundings, drink tea and perhaps do a bit of carving, ok, lots of carving.

After wandering up the hill we settled on a spot just down the hill from a spot we have been too a couple of times before, this one though was better suited today as it gave us a fairly level area to operate from and some nice big fallen Beech branches to use as seats, works tops and axe blocks

DSCN3007.jpg

Hugo getting a brew on

DSCN3008.jpg

couple of general views of the area, the ivy hangs like garlands here and the trees are covered in moss

DSCN3009.jpg

DSCN3010.jpg

Found some wonderful fungi growing on the base of a Hazel, not quite sure what this one is, apart from a bracket, will look it up shortly

DSCN3012.jpg

View down the hill from where we were

DSCN3017.jpg

Time for a bit of lunch, Hugo getting the bacon rolls on the go, whilst i got some roast vegetable Cous Cous on the go over a Monkey Boy meths burner, makes a mean bacon sarnie does our Hugo, my turn to cook next time out

DSCN3021.jpg

DSCN3019.jpg

after being fed and watered it was back to the carving

DSCN3030.jpg

view through the tree canopy where the Beech we were using as a seat/bench used to stand

DSCN3034.jpg

the carving work shop

DSCN3036.jpg

some of the spoons we created, all from green hazel

Mine

DSCN3024.jpg

DSCN3039.jpg

and Hugos, Hugo concentrated on making spoon blanks, lots of blanks as he left his spoon knife at home -just need a bit of sanding don't they mate:rolleyes:, in fact lots of sanding, might be worth taking them to a belt sander at some point:rolleyes:

DSCN3027.jpg

After the carving we had a bit of search round for some Iron pyrite, i found one bit earlier in the day and that was the only bit we did find today, Hugo had a bit of a wander round the immediate area, he's in the first pic somewhere

DSCN3047.jpg

DSCN3052.jpg

and the site as we left it

DSCN3045.jpg

Had a really good time, loads of laughs and taking the wee wee all day - just the way it should be

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Had a great time as usual Mark mate.
Next time I'll bring my reading glasses, that way I'll keep up with you on the carving front.
You didn't mention me loosing a piece of my index finger mate, or the other battle scars from earlier in the week from carving.
We'll stay longer next time and do a bit of badger watching.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
That's me Sam you can just see my hand holding a camera.
Was a good day for us. If you look at the first picture of me holding a knife whilst watching the bacon cook, it looks like I am wearing a ring, I am not. that it a cut and a scab from earlier in the week. I'm getting a bit clumsy in my old age.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Was a bit of a laught wasnt it, i figured id let you mention the claret spillage:p

ps got any sandpaper handy?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE