Woodland Camping spot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I (we) have found an awesome camping spot. The first place where i have felt like i was in untouched wild in wales.

It was in the Usk resevoir forest. Absolutely beautiful, with a vast resevoir (not very suitable for swimming...very cold) Im not sure whether your "allowed" to camp, but we were recomeded to by a farmer, and as long as you leave no trace, im sure there will be no problem. You can just take one of the dirt tracks.

Its basically a vast forest, so the deeper you trek, the less likely you are to hit trouble. There is also fishing on the resevoir (the main purpose) so if you have a lisence you could be in nirvana...bushcraft and fishing!

Happy Camping,

Jake

Nigel

Forager
Dec 6, 2003
Carmarthenshire
Hi Jake,

Know the place well, good site for camping. You need to stay down the bottom end near the stream, plenty of food round at the end of summer, loads of raspberry’s etc. Not much activity down that end, the fisherman seem to stay the top end, just the odd walker or two. And it’s also the best place to get your nightlines out. You can leave the car near the farmhouse for days and it’s ok.

Argh and I thought I had it all to myself. :nono:

All The Best

Nigel

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Argh and I thought I had it all to myself.

Another welshman! Sorry Nigel, i have discovered it as well! On the site we picked, it looked like someone else had as well, we spent the first 15 mins picking up litter :evil: .

Anyway, what a pristine natural wonder! We camped only 50m away from the car park (patch), yet we never saw a soul unless we ventured down to the waters edge!

I think it is unique due to the ability to trek as far as you want from the car and wherever you go is perfect for camp!

Cheers,

Jake

Nigel

Forager
Dec 6, 2003
Carmarthenshire
Yep, there is a few places with litter, night time fishermen, with there beer cans etc.

It is a nice spot thou :-D

Have not been up there yet this year, just staying local for the mo.

Nigel

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Ystrad Fellte waterfalls? I live in cardiff, not too far from rudry. I prefer going beyond the valleys. IMO I think that that is where the beauty of Wales begins!

Cheers,

Jake

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
We're not very hardcore....we usually use tents! Although i now want to use a hammock as i have had enough of tents. (could you recomend one?).

We walk alot. I enjoy cooking on open fires, creating things out of wood, build shelters if it rains attempt friction firelighting however tempting it is to use a firesteel!

It depends where we are. We once walked across the kalahari.

I havent done any courses yet, i am booked onto the fundamental bushcraft course date 04-10 spetember 2005 (anyone?). I like the look of camp-craft, another course i would like to follow.

How close do you live to cardiff? What sort of stuff do you do? Do you wild-camp or use tents?

Cheers,

Jake

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Im not sure...there well could be. Buy i know it as the place where you can walk behind a massive waterfal and watch the water pouring down, a very special place indeed.
I know it as well for cliff diving, apart from very cold water.

Cheers,

Jake

Ps. The biggest caving system in europe is situated in mid (ish) wales near a place called Crickhowell, in the black mountains.

Nigel

Forager
Dec 6, 2003
Carmarthenshire
Hi Jake.

I always use a hammock, the same design as the one posted by Neil, the Thai hammock, and also the SAS hammock.

Done a few courses over the past couple of years. The fundamental I done about 4 years ago, and last year done the journeyman up near Dunkeld.

I think you will enjoy it; I would practice the fire bow :-D .
Who is the instructor?

Live on the east side of Cardiff, Llanrumney/Rumney.

Yep, always wild camp, if not using hammock build shelters, never had a tent. So besides shelter’s, tracking, trapping, fire lighting and all the usual stuff. This is one of the reasons I stay local I know the area well, it’s not far for me to walk, and I can pop out any time.

All The Best

Nigel

Nigel

Forager
Dec 6, 2003
Carmarthenshire
Rich,

Ystradfellte, has a cave called Porth-yr-Ogof, there is some caverns near Dan-yr-Ogof caves, Craig-y-nos country park. Ystradfellte is more famous for the waterfalls.

Nigel

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
What are hammocks like to sleep in? are they comfortable? or do they give you backache...

My instructor is juha rankinen. Whats the journeyman like?

Jake

Nigel

Forager
Dec 6, 2003
Carmarthenshire
Jake,

If you got yourself a spare weekend toward the end of May, I will be going camping you are welcome to come along, I got plenty spare hammocks if you want to try one for night.

As for the journeyman, worth doing it does test your ability as well as your mental state.

Nigel

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Hi Nigel,

thanks for the offer, that does sound good. I'll PM you...

Cheers,

Jake

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE