Wooden well 7000 years old

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Now that's interesting :)
I know of the basket worked linings of the well beside the Antonine wall in Scotland, but I didn't know of that carved timber kind.
Quite reminiscent of the timber worked buildings in N. Europe.

cheers,
M

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Not necessarily the oldest worked wood. Star Carr for Mesololithic and there are the wooden platforms of the South Coast as well as logboats and paddles from Denmark for example. Previously it has been that they didn't have planks in the Neolithic which is nonsense.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I reckon that woodworking in some form or other came in as soon as folks thought about using a sharp edged tool :)

Thing is though; preservation of organics is always site specific, and very few sites actually preserve them well enough for recognition. The sheer volume that must have been lost to the mechanised peat extraction though is a very depressing thought.

M

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I like how it's not just the achievement of the well.....but the survivalistic thought behind the construction.....they knew the effort and the rewards it would bring....it's thanks to that mindsets that were here today ....

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I reckon that woodworking in some form or other came in as soon as folks thought about using a sharp edged tool :)

Thing is though; preservation of organics is always site specific, and very few sites actually preserve them well enough for recognition. The sheer volume that must have been lost to the mechanised peat extraction though is a very depressing thought.

M
Not only modern day destruction either - as was mentioned in another tread used messages/inscriptions that had served their purpose were open to being destroyed by contemporary folk too.
Just look at how many "Hadrian's Wall Postcards" were saved from what must have been a regular postal service ... and they only survived due to the Romans trying to burn too many at once in a hurry!
The odd wooden message must have made great kindling...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think you are very right :D

I got into a huge row at Uni with another student. Much younger than I was but in the year ahead.
I could not get it into her head that the most usual method of rubbish disposal in the past was the back of the fire. Fuel is expensive in both time and labour, and if one cannot gather it ownself then it's a further expense too. Therefore, anything that would burn, most likely was burnt.
Thing was though, the student hadn't ever lived in a house with an open fire, and had absolutely no experience of burning anything except toast :rolleyes:

atb,
M

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
Not really, most students I knew managed to burn other stuff too
smoking-smiley-5426.gif

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE