Wooden toys for kids

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
Suitable wood for kids toys?

My missus works at a children’s centre. She encourages me to combine my liking for making stuff with getting free wooden toys for the kids, (I’m sure they would like bows and arrows but that’s a no-no). (After a recent trip to Sandal Castle)

The kind of woods that are free, AKA cost nothing! (It’s a council funded place, for working parents and disadvantaged children)

So..

What are suitable types of wood for carving / making stuff for children?

Non-toxic, Splinter free etc

Non-toxic finishing oils

Processes for these types of wood, e.g. carve it when green ,easy to carve and let it dry et

It’s amazing what kids miss out on these days and the little stuff which mean so much !!

All suggestions welcome folks!

Thanks !

Jon:)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sycamore, beech, apple, pear and lime are all good for kids stuff :)

Since it's a council thing could you not ask the council arborist for stuff when he's working ? Lots of urban planted limes and crab trees :D and sycamore's a weed tree these days; it grows everywhere.

Hopefully the tree surgeon'll be along shortly to really fill out my short list :D

Be interesting to see the sorts of things you make for the children :approve:

cheers,
M

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Soft woods are pretty safe too but kids tend to teeth on them(old scaffold boards are 38mm thick and often free). Lead free paint is an obvious or a suitable food safe oil such as tung oil.
Beech is used commercially as its cheapish and plentiful but anything on toddy's list and box (buxus sp) are also good.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Birch is another option.

But also check the rules that exist regarding childrens toys. There are minimum sizes on parts, etc, in order to minimize choking hazards. For play structures there are further rules, also intended to minimize accidents.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE