Wood sanding question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bp1974

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2005
London
I'm finishing up my second spoon, and I've noticed that there are some very small pieces of wet and dry grit embedded in the wood, probably from the first coarse sanding. Anybody have any ideas on how to get rid of these, other than sanding again, which I imagine will leave a new lot of grit in the wood too?

How can I avoid this in future? Maybe I was pressing too hard with the paper.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I find wire wool or pan scourers work well. In future you can avoid the problem by using wet & dry rater than sand paper, as this is much less prone to shedding grit.

Dave

bp1974

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2005
London
Thanks, I've got some synthetic wire wool coming in the post for another project so I may try that.

It was wet and dry I was using, which is why I'm surprised (and a bit p***ed off) that it left some of itself behind.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Also, when you're done sanding, put the spoon in some boiling water for a minute, this will lift the grain up. Once the grain is up give it another go over with wet+dry, this will make the spoon REALLY smooth and probably force out any sand paper crystals.

Once it's all dry again oil it... some prefer boiled linseed but I prefer sticking it in with some fried chips as it's nice and easy and doesn't leave a taste.

If it's a light wood, I sometimes rub a little soy sauce in to it to pronounce the grain before oiling it.

Joe

bp1974

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2005
London
Thanks for the tips. I might try boiling it to see if that releases some of the grains of W/D, and a cotton cloth when I rub it up again.

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
bp1974 said:
Thanks for the tips. I might try boiling it to see if that releases some of the grains of W/D, and a cotton cloth when I rub it up again.

BP whatever you do don't boil it!

Squidders meant a quick dip in hot water for a few seconds (I wouldn't leave it in as long as a minute Squidders.) and then let it dry. That will raise the grain and let you smooth it off.

If you boil it you will damage it.

George

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Indeed... a minute was a figure of speech and I was guessing that you wouldn't stick the spoon in a boiling kettle or pot but rather, pour the boiling water in to a cup and then add the spoon.

bp1974

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2005
London
Ah ok. In the past I've used cold water to raise the grain. Thanks for the heads up, I was in a 10-minute boiling frame of mind yesterday as I needed to un-epoxy some buffalo horn.

A quick dip it is for the spoon.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE