wood id help please

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
hi all,

so at the weekend I went and help my dad to trim the hedges in there garden. i've now got a few big chuncks but don't know what it is.
any help Identifying it would be great.
also anyone know if its suitable for carving, is it food safe, etc

thanks

wood:

its a fairly common bush, its in our garden aswell

Regards,
Baelfore

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Privet would be my guess. Not sure which one exactly. I know some of its toxic but not sure of wood.

All that said, yew is toxic and its used a lot and looks great.

I'm sure better eyes and brains than mine will do a better job with your ID :)

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hi Baelfore, yeah as others have said i am pretty sure that it is Privet.

The one underneath is a reclaimed oak railway sleeper! (Sorry couldn't resist)

Oh and i would not be putting either in my mouth!!

Ivan...

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
thanks guys.

think i'll give it a miss then.

follow up question: Is it safe to burn/cook over?

if so it heads to the wood pile. :campfire:

if not it heads to the skip!

Regards,
Baelfore

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
yes thats what i'd say cherry laurel is a cherry so safe to use as it's not got any insect damage may mean it's laurel coz of the poison

Cherry Laurel IS NOT safe, see below copied from http://www.thepoisongarden.co.uk/atoz/prunus_laurocerasus.htm, the plant has a very strong almond smell which is characteristic of Cyanide, i was given some by a tree surgeon to carve, as soon as i cut into the wood with a saw i could smell almonds, so i binned the lot

The leaves and fruit pips contain cyanolipids that are capable of releasing cyanide and benzaldehyde. The latter has the characteristic almond smell associated with cyanide.

1.5% cyanogenic glycosides are present in the leaves. During maceration, i.e. chewing, this becomes glucose, hydrogen cyanide (prussic acid), and benzaldehyde. Cyanide starves the central nervous system of oxygen and, thus, causes death.

The Prunus laurocerasus has enough of the poison in the leaves to be used by entymologists as a way of killing insect specimens without physical damage. They seal the live insects in a vessel containing the crushed leaves.

Confusing the two laurels and using the leaves of this plant as bay in cooking has resulted in poisoning. If this occurs prompt treatment is essential.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE