Winter in the north

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Here's some pics from my recent trip to the northern part of our province, taken over a period of about three weeks.
Some photos of the drive up, about 6 hours from where I sit to get to where I'll unload the skidoo and start heading in
IMG_0916.jpg

IMG_1065-1.jpg

IMG_1059.jpg

Skidoo trip to cabin, across a number of lakes, over 40 miles to get there
IMG_1052.jpg

IMG_0891.jpg

One night got pretty cold but with the sun it's slowly warming up
IMG_0890.jpg

IMG_0870.jpg

I love the snow in the Black Spruce
IMG_0876.jpg

A burned island on one lake. Lots of forest fires here
IMG_0973.jpg

A few more
IMG_1029.jpg

IMG_1030.jpg

IMG_1047.jpg

IMG_1048.jpg

Sunrise
IMG_1049-1.jpg

IMG_1046.jpg

Centre right stands a red fox at the edge of the spruce
IMG_1073-1.jpg

A cluster of trees out in a muskeg
IMG_1075-1.jpg

IMG_1074-1.jpg

Frozen lakes, snow and bush. Not much else but I love the isolation.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Nice. I really must get up north into the true "northern taiga" landscape soon, I miss it. How deep is the snow, it doesn't look very deep (we have 70 cm or so here, after a few warm days made it pack down some).

The snow is not even up to my knees-which is way below normal. We should have around the same as you right now, with about double that by the end of March, but weatherwise nothing is normal any more. Last year we had less all winter than we have right now-unbelievable.

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
Nice place, thanks for taking us there. I can see by the absence of hardwoods and of large trees in general, you mustn't be too far from tree line...
what are the summers like?

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Nice place, thanks for taking us there. I can see by the absence of hardwoods and of large trees in general, you mustn't be too far from tree line...
what are the summers like?

The summers vary like anywhere of course but can be very hot, though short. The hottest I've seen it was in the mid 30's C. In contrast, one year most of the summer was cold, with temperatures below freezing even in August.
The trees don't get that big, and grow very slowly with lots of taper. I once cut a number of 12' spruce logs that were 8'' at the butt. The other end in that 12' measured 4''. Tough to build anything with logs like that!
This whole area just burns, burns and burns some more. The province does not fight forest fires here, so quite often second growth trees burn again before they even get to a decent height.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE