winter bag that doesn't fill a sabre 45

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Yes there is! What's your budget? Go for a down bag and you'll see what a good down bag can deliver in such a compact package, you'll pay for it mind!:)

Variant 13

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 18, 2007
Berkshire
Have a look at rockrun.co.uk, they sell own branded down bags made by Rab at great prices , they pack down really small and are very warm.

I've got the Eiger 750 and it keeps me warm to -10 (adding a bivvi bag and a silk liner will add another season's worth of warmth) and packs to about 300mm x 200mm.

No connection just a very happy customer.

Graham

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
Karrimor 900 - 1100 range i think 3-4 seasons, can get em at blacks and millets £50 currently £27 in sale atm though real small bags

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Depends on what you mean by winter. ;) I have yet to see a winter bag that doesn't take up half a sabre 45, down or not, and which stands up (down) to -35.

That said, I think it is possible with a down bag to suit your demands. Don't forget the bivvybag when using a downbag though.

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
How's about getting what bag you like (including the Nanok) and hanging it outside the Sabre in a waterproof compression sack.

These are particularly good (miles better than Nanok supplied stuff sack):

Just another option.

Pablo.

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
Basically, you will suffer when paying or when carrying.
No marketing will ever change that.
If its a high quality down (90/10, 550+) you will pay a very large sum to get warmth with as less bulk and weight as possible.
If its synthetic, you can save money, but will always carry much more. No matter, "what new and improved" wonder fibre is claimed to be used.

Wink

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 4, 2004
Norfolk
Gotta be down! I have a Mountain Equipment Lightline 450, fits neatly in the bottom of my Sabre 45 with plenty of spare room. Not cheap though. Best value down bags are probably Alpkit. Bear in mind a lot of the synthetics that pack up small are hopelessly optimistic about their season rating...

See what you think of THIS I manage to fit one and a full size thermrest plus clothing into the main compartment of my 45 with room for clothes and some food, hammock, stove pots etc fit in the side pockets.
There are some places with discounts available if you shop around.
hope this is helpful,
Tim
PS not done a really cold outing in it yet but am happy so far.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
As you mention Snugpaks and Nanoks I'll presume your not looking to splash out hundreds of £s.

So lowest temperature to packs size and in the £60-80 price range would get you one of the new Alpkit skyehigh http://www.alpkit.com/skyehigh/ rumopurs are about £60 for the 400
or if your anywhere near a Decathlon shop it might be worth poping in and checking out these http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/s0-ultralight-down-3251484/

Personally I'm waiting for Alpkit to release the Skyehigh range as I've always found there gear to be very good value for money and they've given me great service ( note their advertised prices include fast delivery, generally been next day )

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
My sleeping bag is big, but thats always the first thing inside my rucksack, along with my dry set. Anything else can go outside because it doesn't matter so much if its wet, but if I don't get a good kip then everybody else knows about it next day :(

I agree with the silk liner and bivi bag comments, I use a microfibre fleece which is really good and acts as a summer sleeping bag in its own right or when I end up on the setee because SWMBO had a headache and can't sleep.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE