Will you sharpen my awl?

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Sharpening steel is a skill I do not possess. Or it is most likely the patience! Since making myself a couple of strops I use them to keep my knives and such up to scratch. I'm having trouble with my diamond awl. Just bought a new one and it arrived completely blunt and not even ground properly by the looks of it. Was pretty dismayed as I will never have the skill/patience to sharpen it up properly so I need someone willing to sharpen it for me, and then I will maintain it with my strop.

I am more than willing to pay or do some leatherwork in return if somebody can get my diamond awl nice and sharp on the point and both edges so it will acually pierce leather!

I have also just ordered another awl from goodsjapan to compare what they are like straight out the packet. I am desperate indeed

Any help would be appreciated send me a PM or something if you are interested cheers Hamish

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
If you really want I can do it mate, but you should give it a try yourself. :) Seeing the work you can do in leather and that knife you made, you're plenty capable of sharpening.

Cover it in a marker pen, take your time to feel the bevel, consistent stroke pattern, after a stroke or two check the marker pen to see if it is being removed evenly, adjust position or repeat and so on.

:)

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
I assume its an awl with a diamond shape point. Never tried to sharpen such a small surface, but go steady or you could score your stones. If you really struggle I'd be prepared to have a go, but would be reluctant to play with other people's tools. PM if you are really stuck :)

Oldwoodyrock

Dec 10, 2012
Pacific Northwest
Hamish:

Find a leather working professional supplier. Shoemaker/cobbler supply? They carry point sharpeners for sharpening awls, needles scribes, and etc. The sharpener itself is a wee plastic square one can screw to the side of the bench, and has two sharpening rods one draws the awl through to sharpen it. In the states they cost all of $3.50

Woody

The Edge

Banned
Nov 25, 2012
South East

Cover it in a marker pen
There's a good tip in default of engineering blue.
You might also try using a magnifier to check your progress.Keep checking the form of the tool,and use the fingers of your free hand to back up/apply pressure in the region of the blade you want to shape .Draw the sharp edge through the edge of a piece of wood to remove any burr that's created.
Personally I'd be happy using soapy water with a typical carborundum stone,stroking toward the outer edge of the tool.

Hamish:

Find a leather working professional supplier. Shoemaker/cobbler supply? They carry point sharpeners for sharpening awls, needles scribes, and etc. The sharpener itself is a wee plastic square one can screw to the side of the bench, and has two sharpening rods one draws the awl through to sharpen it. In the states they cost all of $3.50

Woody

Have just found these on E-Bay, although I do'nt know if it will give you the type of point you require.

I think you will quickly learn by doing.The tool may be more or less shorter before you pick up the technique,but you will discover how to do this eventually by removing the minimum material necessary.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE